Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Always put mine in my checked in bag .... only need them for 'sir' to check how much weight I have put on before we fly back!! xx
always want to keep them handy in case of disputes at check in.
Noticed that this time one of the cases was checked at exactly 20kgs but I weighed it at 17.5, both at the hotel and at home after arriving on the bathroom scales.
Not really bothered about the loss of the tape but find the differences in check in security puzzling.
the scales have been OK in lots of different airports and at Bodrum itself previousley.
On leaving the UK via East Mids the DVD player in the flight bag caused an issue, but not on return through Bodrum.
It seems that each airport has its own list of "dangerous " items rather than a standard list.
I have been stopped twice recently at different airports and had to open my jewellery bag! Never had this until the last year or so! Maybe they think I will strangle someone with a necklace!!
Goodness, I'm sure if you wanted to garotte the pilot you could find something better than a tape measure. Will they confiscate leather belts next? What about those travel washing lines? And then what is next, not being allowed nail scissors in case you try to stab someone? And as for men's razors, goodness know what damage you could do with them!

I think someone must have been bored that day Del...
You already can't take nail scissors with you in hand luggage! Try to take them through security at any UK airport and they will be confiscated.

SM
I carry a small pair of nail scissors with me when travelling. Have used Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick in the last year and the scissors were not confiscated at security.
They must have decided at Gatwick and Manchester that I looked like a potential terrorist. :rofl

Seriously, I have had nail scissors kept in a first aid kit confiscated at both!

SM
I've heard of people having nail scissors confiscated but it's not happened to me.

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/personal-items
What about those travel washing lines

Funilly enough, a woman in the apartments told me she had been warned about just that!
Small nail scissors are generally allowed usually they have a blade no longer than 3 cm , and as long as they are not really pointed and sharp they are allowed

More detailed info is listed in a PDF at http://www.gatwickairport.com/Documents/Security/50317_SecurityGuidelines.pdf

It does state scissors under 6cm are allowed if they are blunt or rounded , anything over 6cm is not allowed .
Jewellery bag was probably pulled aside for checking , if there is a lot in there not all of it can be "seen " properly just by X-ray so a visual search would be made .
:tup andy, have to say I do have a 'lot' (as 'sir' would say) of jewellery in a smallish bag so understand what you are saying.
Well you're lucky to have a lot !! But it would appear as a dense mass , but at least you haven't decided to wear all of it before going through a metal detector ;) :duh
Never wear jewellery to the airport for that very reason! Also don't wear a belt, jacket (take a wrap instead) or have money (that's why I take 'Sir') !!! ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.