EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Septic tank??
10 Posts
As long as its properly fitted shouldnt be a problem- they have to be emptied about once a year or so (dependant on input not to put too finer point on it), that would be best done when its not too hot!!!! Some of us had them in England when we were kids!!! And I have a peice of land which may need the same thing when I put villa(s) on it. So dont fret over it too much.
We have a septic tank here in England, living in the wilds of Dorset as we do.
It needs emptying every few years - a tanker comes along and pumps it out - no problem.
The drain leading into the tank does get blocked sometimes and you have to get out there with the rods - that is not a nice job!
We also will have one in the Algarve which we are told does not need emptying - we shall wait on see on that one
although we have a tank sharing 4 apartments we have been told that way before it fills (and it will take some doing) we will be hooked to the main drains. perhaps that will happen eventually to your property. we saw the tank being put in. it was massive. if it is the same system as england, the water flush eventually filters out just leaving you know what in the bottom. our builder says it could be at least two years before it needs emptying.
A proper fully functioning septic tank - as opposed to a cess tank (it's important to check exactly which you have) should need emptying only rarely and possibly never if you keep the system in balance. It should operate as an enclosed system with the bacteria in it breaking down all solid waste so that it can drain away with the water through the slow filteration system at the bottom and because of this only biodegradable matter should be flushed down the loo. But you do need to be careful what you put down it because if you kill off the bacteria in it by using strong disinfectants etc you'll stop the process working and there will be a build up of semi-solid sludge at the bottom. This also means that you need to take advice about which detergents you can use in your washing machine too if this water all gets emptied into the tank as well.

The Centre for Alternative Technology at Machynlleth (website below)

http://www.cat.org.uk/search/simplesearch.tmpl

can offer advice about what how to maintain a 'healthy' septic tank and sells products that are suitable for use with one as well as selling a product which will help the biodegrading process work efficiently.

SM
What fantastic information you all hoard

The property is in the Algarve & shares the tank with a couple of neighbouring properties, so sounds like a man with a stick job every now & then.

The tank is a fossa drainage which in my blind assumption is the same as a septic tank?

Incidentally, I read elsewhere that it a cheaper option on the annual rates than being connected to the main sewer
This forum is fascinating as long as your not eating lunch and reading it. SM you remind me of my Navy days where on type 42 destroyers we could only use certain chemicals, the result of using the wrong types was not only did the bacteria stop working but the system used to regurgitate- not very funny on a ship where you can not escape the smell.
Hi Brynn,

I'm sure it's not :-) It only needs to happen to you once and you certainly obey the rules for ever after about what should and should not end up in the tank!

Have you read Dirk Bogarde's autobiography? He recounts an anecdote about the time he thought that he'd discovered a natural spring bubbling up in the garden of his villa in the south of France. That is until he noticed bits of paper floating on the surface of the pond he created for the 'spring' to flow into. The local plumber must have been killing himself with laughter when eventually called in to sort that one out!

I'm on mains drainage at home now but when I was working as a youth leader often had groups away on outdoor holidays in out of the way places and always knew that the moment the loo starting gurgling and rumbling whenever it was flushed was the sign that somebody had not paid attention and had flushed something down the loo they shouldn't or more likely one of the girls had disregarded the prohibition on bubble bath which was the thing that always caused the most problems. On one occassion the loos started to foam at the mouth so to speak! Thank heavens most hostels moved over to only having showers rather than baths available.

SM

PS You have all finished your lunch now haven't you?
Having sold efluent holding and treatment products for over 30 yrs. there are 2 main calculations to make for a septic tant

1) number of occupence (this is the max number not the every day average)
2) soil porosity a good systen discharges semi - treated waste usualy to an under soil dispersal system, this must not be close to drinking water sorces or a stream/river as the effluent may still contain toxic or organic contaminat's if the calculation is correct then it should be de-sludged once a year if under size then more frequently (however some cowboy companies in the uk try to get away with running to a ditch) and some countries do not have an enforcable regulation to maintain good practice..

the best solution is a mini treatment plant (will still need de-sludging) but discharges almost pure water which can be dicharged to almost any situation

brian
Its surprising how much we all know about S**t :roll:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.