Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Thats bad Spike I really never thought I would see the day the ship would be taken away ..what will all those people who own the shacks do will they just have to go to the loss of ..business,..colleen
Spike the shacks you've mentioned are they all from James's shack heading towards Calangute ? (not to good with shacks that end) although have been to James shack a few times....it's been a rough couple of years for James's family and I hope there's some sort of compensation for the shacks involved but I very much doubt it......Keith
KJF - Your directions are correct. Not good about James shack with his sad death, same with Ganesh - we visited his house like we do each year, and right in front of there property is an hotel now ! One step out of the front door and you can walk in the pool - is there no let up ?
Think all the shacks will suffer this year. Went down to Baga beach today, and the Mafia had been down and removed all the sunbeds. They said they knocked down 4 shacks yesterday! The beach was deserted! Happy Holidays!! :que
Wondered when the boys in brown would make an appearance. Does'nt matter what the shack owners do they'll find an excuse to mess them about. The fact that it also deters tourists from returning does'nt bother them a bit.
Alan
Latest update, is that most of the shacks that were to come down are now to stay up (including Ganesh's) sadly though at least 2 are to come down, but no info as to which ones and when (still may not happen)..
Hope no one suffers, and they can get on and move the RP in the way they have stated, via sea.
Hi spike , I was down at RP yesterday , and was told basically the same as you , also told that work is to start a week tomorrow .
I am still of the opinion that ,even if they do remove the scrap by sea ,it will still be a total nightmare and down-right dangerous down their ,and not just for the workers employed on the Project.
The Logistics involved in putting in place the infrastructure and mechanisms that will be required to execute the works ( diligently ) are just not being conveyed to the general public , or tourists , and I think that the reason for that is to mis-lead people as to what the actual level of disruption will be ,and the reason for that is , that if they did tell the truth , Candolim down that end , would be a ghost town,already, they just want to milk the cow for as long as possible , I feel for those that have booked holiday accomodation , and will have to put up with blocked roads/pavements ,fumes , noise & loss of general ammenity .
For those who if they find themselves caught up in this melee , it might be possible to pursue your tour operator for a change of Hotel , via the tour operator having to give you a - Duty of Care - , you could try it on the grounds of your personal Health & Safety .
I am not trying to put a dampner on people , its just that I find all this talk about , whether a shack will be open or closed during the removal works , and so long as the shack is open during the work , then that is fine , well then , Enjoy ,but make sure you wear your full PPE - No Hard Hat , No Boots , No Goggles, No Ear Defenders,No Gloves, No Hi Viz ---- No Shack .
Thanks for your info, and if you around for while out there, could you keep us all informed of any news as to whats going on, that would be geat, thanks. :tup
I have stated in another post that this will be our 12th year now and always to Ganesh shack. Someone asked why do we want to sit in front of a rusting ship for 2 weeks ? Well that hasn't been a problem at all, and have enjoyed some great times.
It was a worry a few years ago when they started the 1st attempt of removal, and wasn't sure what to expect on the 1st day at the beach, smells/noise etc.. It was never a problem.
This time though it could be, and yeah it's a well earned expensive 2 weeks for us, which as usual we are out there to enjoy and relax.
If it is bearable, then we will stay and support Ganesh as I guess many other regulars to his and surrounding shacks will also do. If it's going to be manic with no peace and quiet then we will have no choice but to 'up sticks' and move elsewhere - sad but something we have agreed on to do.
Let's hope the latter will not be the case though..
Spike, do you know yet which 2 shacks will be affected? Glad to hear that Ganesh may not have to take his down. Like yourselves we'll give it a go and see how things pan out. We really want to support Ganesh and his family too. They've made all our previous hols so relaxing and enjoyable and we've met some great people at the shack. Excellent food, good company, superb service, hard to beat. Mind you, if it's too noisy and chaotic I think we'd also consider moving on to somewhere else.
Hope to catch up with you there soon.
Gail & Ray
We have just returned from Goa. While we were there we spoke to Ganesh who told us that his shack was safe and that it was confirmed by the authorities. He said that it was the first 4 shacks that were to be demolished and that the work would start towards the end of February.
spike , I went down that way this morning -- still all the same , talking to one of the shack boys at VJ's he told me that they have heard nothing apart from the rumour that work supposed to be starting next wk !!!! But he doesnt think that it will .
Have heard news that they will be up to the end of the season, so what is going on with this saga now ? Will the RP go ? They should have a few months before heavy seas come after this season to start work and then start again after the monsoon, who knows ?
Cheers for the update mahal.
Thanks for the link, squigs.

"Blasting could be involved....." :yikes
My thoughts exactly PPC!!!
Plus "even a small steel bit flying from the blast could cause serious injury" :yikes :yikes
Paper work "still to be inked in" next week though.. keeps getting moved back - do they have pens ? GET ON WITH IT !!
On a public beach, at the height of the tourist season, scrapping by explosion, only in Goa !!!!
Alan
Can't wait for bits of River Princess to be flying into my curry next week! I have seen some sights on the beach but this is of the scale!! :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.