Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
John Neil,

I wouldn't worry too much. You'll get a much better rate if you swap them in resort anyway.

Darren
ah yes ,thank you for that but just wondered what the motive behind it was .Maybe a "closed currency " like India is in the offing for example ..which means you cant take any currency legally out of the country in Question although many do .Regards wee-john
John Neil,

I think you're reading too much in to it. There's no problems getting lira from bureau de changes and travel agents. Turkey is a popular summer destination and outlets run short occasionally.

Darren
Thomas Exchange appear to still be taking orders. Thomas Cook took it off their online ordering system a few days ago. Neither Eurochange, Thomsons, Tesco or Asda are offering it online.
Someone who works in a bank posted on another forum and it sounded like the Turkish Government are leaning toward s a closed currency.
Nothing to do with a shortage.
I have heard that Turkey are trying to reduce inflation, thus binging down the lira to how it used to be a few years back to about 2.20tl to the pound.
And the only way they can do it is to put a hold on countries being able to buy, hence the shortage.
Somebody on another forum who arrived in Turkey a few days ago even said that a taxi driver refused to be paid in Turkish Lira, and would only accept euro's or sterling, which is slightly concerning for those, like myself, who bought a good chunk of my spends when it was 3.72tl to the pound!!!
Chris
Good buying MrHerb! I bought in December via a contact in Fethiye and got 3.30 to the pound and thought I'd done well before I saw it go to a high of 3.80 before slowly coming down again. I guess that like shares, getting in at the bottom and out at the top is very much down to luck. I noticed that Travelex are no longer showing it in their drop-down menu of world currencies and wondered why?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.