EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Sky
13 Posts
Sky Plus Systems are certainly advertised on the coast, so I guess it must work okay.
Thanks for that I see you live in Benalmadena, we are moving there at the end of this month
You can get all the sky programes but remember that your TV will need converting when you get here, or you will have to buy a spanish set.

Cheers,

John
but remember that your TV will need converting when you get here, or you will have to buy a spanish set.

Only if you want to watch Spanish TV. If you have Sky, your UK TV will work.

Alan
Hi Ian,

Got a friend who has been installing Sky+ out there for sometime now. Good service and won't rip you off and all English speaking and she knows Arenal Golf quite well.

Can send you a contact if your interested. :?:
Still thinking of that beer you offered aswell when I'm over!!

Cheers
Warren..
Sounds good to me give me her details & beers in the fridge
Ian
when you get there pick up the free english paper town cryer ,available in most shops that sell newspapers,or ask any english speaking bar ,shop whatever,if they have one an old copy will do,they advertise many places from where you could purchase a dish.it has plenty of information,and free advise,some areas can not get a good reception early morn,or late evening,information we were given in july this year.
Ian,

Do note that many communities do not allow you to install your own satellite dish and you have to rely on whatever is piped around. The community will ultimately take you to court if you don't comply.

Cliff
If your Sky + sub is less than 1 year old you will need to have your box plugged into to the phone line. if you have to do this you will need a gadget that masks the fact you are on a spanish phone line or they will end your sub!
Thanks for that but its 2 years old.
Do note that many communities do not allow you to install your own satellite dish and you have to rely on whatever is piped around. The community will ultimately take you to court if you don't comply.

This is technically incorrect.

Under the Spanish "Freedom of information act 1998 section 2b" you have the right to recieve free to air boradcasts that are available in your location. You do not need planning permission for a dish in Spain.

However a court can order the removal of the dish under different Spanish laws...

If you block the view of a neighbour the court can insist you remove it by law as their view is also protected under Spanish law.

And this one comes from similar EU law that also entitles everyone to recieve available broadcasts in Europe...

If your community already has a provision to receive some or all of the broadcasts that you are receiving from your dish the court can make you remove your dish as provision already exists. Eg. If they get JUST ONE channel from Astra2 your setup would be deemed illegal under the EU law.

hope that helps
I think our community falls under the final paragraph in previous post. Our administrators are off to see the lawyers tommorrow over just this issue. Be interesting to see what happens. I was also referring to community byelaws rather than planning consent.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.