General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
It is really frustrating to see cabin baggage dimensions reduce to the point where it becomes difficult to get the right size of bag!

My personal 'bag' is a canvas holdall - often sold as a bag for life at my local supermarkets - in which I put my handbag, camera, reading material, picnic bits etc which can be squashed into the various metal cages.

All I'd say, which I know may upset many members, is that if you don't conform to the measurements stated on the T&C, it is possible that you would be made to check in your bag .. and pay excess baggage for it. I know it's also rather annoying - or you might want to substitute a stronger term! - when other people (almost all the flight it sometimes seems) 'get away' with over sized hand-baggage.

However, as it's part of your T&C, in theory you are in the wrong if your hand baggage does not comply ... and a certain blue and yellow liveried airline takes a certain interest in hand-baggage ... and it will certainly put you in a bad mood for the rest of your flight if the gate personnel decide to challenge you.

I hope you find a satisfactory solution to this problem ...
Couldn't agree more and it does look as if I'll have to stick to my trusty holdall, especially as TC seem to have the smallest dimensions of any of the airlines and they are the only airline which fly to Tunisia from Stansted, at least during the winter months now. I've been having a look at luggage on line and all of the bags which are designated as suitable for hand luggage are too big by at least a couple of centimetres in one area or another. Believe me Alsa you don't upset me as I'm only too aware you speak the truth. I am. however, more than annoyed that the airlines don't play fair with their customers but I'd rather not risk having any nasty surprises at the airport. :roll:
I've been at many airports over the last few years, where people have been challenged about the size of their hand luggage. I'm not sure which airport it was, but after the main check in, you had to queue, and were made to fit your bag in the appropriate "cage". We saw quite a few turned away, and of course by then, the hold bags had already gone. :que
I do think it depends on the person who's checking us in, as we've all seen over-sized bags going through whilst others have been stopped and I really can't afford to risk it. The problem is that all the airlines seem to have their own ideas of what is acceptable and Thomas Cook seem to be the stingiest. My arms do ache, even with only 5kg, especially if there is a lot of walking involved, so I'll keep an eye out for something but in the meantime it looks as if I'm stuck with my holdall. :banghead: Incidentally the wonderful BA allows anything which you can lift into the overhead locker, plus a handbag etc. but that can cause a problem when the lockers are full to bursting.
I've just searched Argos, but failed to find anything suitable. I got one from there a few years ago for a Flybe flight which also has stingy dimensions.

By the way BA no longer have an unlimited cabin baggage allowance, they now have a limit of .....................

23kgs which is more than hold baggage with many airlines!

luci :wave
I can live with that Luci. :rofl Actually I am limited enough as to what I can actually cart round an airport unless it's on wheels and I struggle with Ryanair's 10kg but it's the actual dimensions which are so frustrating, especially as so many of the cases sold as suitable are clearly not so and would be a waste of money.
You can't beat a rucksack. Lots of different sizes, easy to carry, hold lots of items and they can be squashed to fit the cages. Alternatively look at childs suitcases - my daughter has one, it was £5 from a Clarkes Shoes outlet -extending handle and wheels. I would have suggested a Trunki, but even they are too large for Thomas Cook, which indicates how mean they have become.
I know a rucksack may be the answer for many people but I rather doubt it would help my osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and spondylosis :roll: I may have a look for a child's case - I quite fancy myself as a Disney Princess :rofl
Hi We flew with Thomas Cook in June and have used them for our previous 4 holidays and i always have taken my pull along holdall .

In June I was asked at check in to see my hand luggage - it weighed 3.5kgs and was asked to put in cage and was about 2cm too big . I was then told I would have to check it in as hold luggage !!! I said no i would put it all in a carrier bag and take the holdhall back to car as we were boooked on site. She then told me If i attempted to take it on board they would charge me £ 40.00 at the gate !! I told her again I would take it back to the car. She then proceeded to write something on my boarding card . In my hand luggage i only had my book some sweets puse etc.

So took bag back to car - board plane and we were in the seats row 11 where you can see everybody boarding the plane and I sit and fume when i see various people getting on with much larger pull along cases !!! , but again it is the luck of the draw when you check in.

Now i like a pull along for my hand luggage - I have purchased the correcty size for Ryan air and sad really i have checked all the baskets at teh airport so i know it will be Ok for all airlines.

But the Thoams Cook size is so small i have now done a search and found a company called fly lite uk and they have a pull along exactly to THomas Cook Hand luggage size - it was a bit expensive I think about £ 30.00 but again did a search for a promnotional code and purchased it .

Flew with Thomas Cook in August NO PROBLEM

But again in row 11 and still lots of large pull along cases !!!

Ed
You've hit the nail on the head there Ed: it all depends on who is checking you in! I think this time I'll stick with my trusty holdal but will have a look at the company you mention and perhaps get one from there for next time, though £30 is a bt expensive just because of one blooming airline :shock:
My wife panicked when she saw this thread - she thought it referred to Thomson!!Fortunately they still have the 55cm x 40cm x 20cm limit which means our little pull along cases are OK for next week! How stingy can they get!!! Even my camera bag is too big for Thos Cook limits.
If I'd flown a few weeks earlier it would have been with Thomsons but TC take over the route from the end of October. :cry
I've seen a wheeled rucksack for sale. It has an extending handle, two wheels, yet can double up as a rucksack. At least, it'll squash up into the bag guage.
I've had a look at some of those as well but they're all taller than the miserly 43mm which TC allows. I agree holdalls, and indeed anything with soft sides is good as you can squeeze them into the bag gauge. but you can't get over the height.
Hi Pat,My mother in law had a small frame with wheels that she used to attach to her holdall.
It folded flat and she used to put it in her holdall just before boarding the plane.
I havent seen them for a while so not sure if they are still available.
I have flown with Thomas Cook a lot and my holdalls are not the required dimensions,they are slightly different and this hasnt been a problem.I usually put it on the floor at check in and keep the check in staff chatting! :rofl
I multiply the width x depth x height and the total is usually the same as the TC dimensions.
They even gave me 20kg extra in March when we went to PEK. :tup
There are some in Tesco Aslemma, which look a little smaller than the cabin lugage I usually take. It might be wworth checking them out!
Thanks Helen. I'll check them out next time I'm in there but will take a tape measure with me. I actually got my main case from Tesco some years ago - expandable, lightweight and cheap as chips and it's already done me at least 8 trips so I've got no complaints.
I really wish I could risk it Graham as it's a great price but it's actually a few mm too large on all dimensions and knowing my luck TC would clobber me. :roll: I'll stick with my holdall this time, even if I have to stick passport/purse/camera/phones etc into the pockets and pack my handbag in my suitcase.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.