This might sound like and odd request but for a number of years we have gone to Valle Gran Re on La Gomera in October but my elderly mother is now increasingly frail and finding the onward ferry crossing to La Gomera very tiring. Also, a reduction in the direct foot passenger ferry service to Valle Gran Re means that we would now either have to connect with and transfer to the foot ferry after arriving of the car ferry in San Sebastian or else cross the island by road - both of which I suspect could all prove a bit too much for her this year. So I am looking for an alternative for this autumn on one of the larger islands were we can get a direct flight to in the Canaries without the addition of a ferry transfer.

We always go self-catering rather than stay in a hotel because the evenings' entertainment, even when my nieces (17 and 22) come with us, is going out for a leisurely meal and not much more. We're not looking for bars with entertainment etc just a few restaurants or cafes within a leisurely stroll of the apartment. If they serve tapas even better as we enjoy a joint 'pick' through a range of dishes. I have to admit that somewhere I could go salsa dancing or listen to latin American music would be a lovely bonus but this is not that important. My mother will spend most of her day on the balcony so one with a nice, preferably sea, view is essential as is it being large enough for us to sit out together for a 'sundowner' before going to eat.

The nieces like to be able to sunbathe and swim during the day but aren't fussed whether this is round a pool or on the beach and after La Gomera won't expect anything other than a place to lay down a towel and stretch out. My Dad and I like to be able to go walking - hence why we first went to La Gomera and, therefore, accessible public transport is important so that we don't have to always walk back to where we started.

If you've been to La Gomera, you'll know that somewhere very quiet with not that much going on is what appeals to us but will we be able to find that on Gran Canaria so that we can spare my Mum the island hopping? Any suggestions?

SM

PS Forgot to say that we need beds for up to 6 but don't mind if this means that we need to rent 2 apartments as long as they are next to each other. In fact 2 neighbouring 2 bedroom apartments in a small block by the harbour is what we usually have in Valle Gran Re.