Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
spanish welcome
9 Posts
Never experienced that in Mallorca, but I've never rented a villa so am no expert on that environment. We have rented apartments and stayed in hotels and travelled the length and breadth of the island and, apart from the occasional rudeness that is common everywhere these days, never had any real problems.
To describe as you do that the Brits are disliked in Mallorca is a view that I do not support. In fact I would describe it as totally wrong in my personal view and experience. Frankly, the way the UK is going these days I prefer Mallorca.
Brian,

To be honest I didn't experience anything like that on my trip to Majorca earlier this year. The vast majority of Spaniards we met were great although admittedly we were giving them our business and money. If you're seriously thinking of giving Majorca a miss in the future try Greece where, in my experience you'll find the locals to be very accomodating and friendly.

Steve
We've been going to Majorca for 25 years and have never had a single incident of bad attitude by the locals. We've stopped in villa's, apartments and hotels; eaten in restaurants on both sides of the island and in Palma, all again without problems.

Either you've been unlucky or perhaps it wasn't the locals that had the problem.

And although I can say I've had no issues with the Mallorcans I found the Turkish to be the friendliest people I've met on holiday.
Could it be that the villa was not licensed as legal for tourists and it was located in urban zone where the neighbour/s wants to live in peace and quiet away from tourism :shush - only a thought like.
Thanks for the replies ,we tried very hard to be nice to the locals ,for instance in supermarkets we would let people with small amounts of shopping go before us as we do at home ,only instead of at least a nod of recognition we were met by cold looks .Believe me ,we love majorca and do try our utmost to intergrate with the locals whilst we are there ,but the people we have come accross especially in porto colom just do not want to know .We have stayed twice in turkey and found the turkish people to be a very differant welcoming people but we prefer the short hop to Mallorca which is why we go back there just wonder why Mallorquins are at the very least indifferant.Point taken about prefering Mallorca to the UK as our wish has always been to relocate to Mallorca, but it seems as ive said that they do not want us there The previous poster said that perhaps our villa was not licensed for tourism perhaps this was so dnot know if villas have to be licensed to allow tourists but even so we ould not get upset if children were playing in a pool adjacent to our house at 4.30 in the afternoon
I'm afraid we Brits are by nature a bit naive. We think that people who smile at us are our friends, and those who scowl at us are our enemies.

We live in a predominantly Spanish neighbourhood, and we have two dogs, which are regularly excercised, and barely make a noise. When they do make a noise (normally because our son is playing with them in the back garden) we get an anonomous note under our door, asking us to keep them quiet. They have a sneaky system here of "Denouncing" which is effectively telling tales on you to the Police. If I have a problem with a neighbour, or a local Bar I do it the normal British way, which is to go round and have a chat. They denounce you to the Police and then swear blind they didn't.

They are very unfriendly in public -smile at someone in the street, and they think you are deranged, yet when you get to know them they are the nicest people.

The Police regularly hand out their own punishment, Teachers regularly hit their Children, People smoke where they want, and when they want. It's different, but you sort of get used to it.

I've had more fall outs with Spanish people than you would believe, but I still wouldn't swop it for any other country in Europe - including Britain.
I found the Turkish to be the friendliest people I've met on holiday.

At the risk of starting a Mallorca vs Turkey war...I've been to Turkey a number of times and would agree with the above comment, but I also found their friendliness to be entirely superficial. It's as sincere as it needs to be to get your money. All this "come into my shop my friend" eventually was a complete turn-off.
In Spain, when a Spaniard is nice to you they usually mean it. They don't often smile at you because they are a very reserved people, but when they do they are at least sincere.
As far as 4.30pm goes, for some this could be siesta time. If my boyfriend is on a split shift, he would definitely be having a siesta at this time and if he was on "earlies" (9am to you and me!!) then he would also be having a siesta. Louise
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.