Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Spinalonga
69 Posts
Proper name Kalidon, is [or was last time we were in crete] availble as part of a day trip taking in Elounda and Agios Nikolaos, the trips were organised by Tour line coaches from irakilon it was apox 7 hr trip and included boat trip to the island

yasus

wizard
Hi Debs,
great book isn't it. We're hoping to visit the island when we're in Crete in August. We might do the trip DIY from Elounda, depending on what price the tour operators offer the trip. I think it should be a good day out.
Yes I agree. Great book! I,d love to visit the island and the village where they first lived. Can,t remember what it,s called now. You must let me know if you do the trip. We don,t go until next May. Have a great holiday!
Hope to visit Spinalonga in September after reading the book last year :)
The name of the village your are looking for is Plaka
we got 15euro boat trip to spingalonga, then bbq on the boat after :tup
I't a number of years since we vistited but I remember we just got a boat across - not an organised tour, it was quite fascinating. I read the book last year and enjoyed it - it would be nice to revisit after reading the book. Hope you enjoy your trip!
Hi, we went from Stalis on the local bus to Ag Nick then just went to the harbour and got a boat, the memory of Spinalonga is still with me. Its 4 years since we were there
madmum
That sounds like a good idea madmum. We're staying in Stalis, so could do the same as you. If the men don't need to drive we could make a day of it and have a drink or two. Any idea how often the buses run between Stalis and Ag Nik. Also how long a journey is it?
Thanks
That,s a really good idea. Very interested to see island and from what you say about it staying with you it must be worth a visit especially to us book worms!
the buses from Stalis to Ag Nik run on a regular basis. you will have to check the timetable locally as not sure if changed. The buses go from the main road away from Stalis. From Ag Nik bus station there is a walk which at first is up hill and brings you to an incredible view over the lake. It is then down hill either via some steps passed the lake or the road via the town, both which end up a the harbour.

If you walk down the steps and pass all the restaurants, be warned, each restaurant will try to temp you into them.
I first went to Spinalonga in the early 70's. I couldn't get anyone to take me from Plaka due to lingering fears about infection. In the end I paid a guy with a boat in Elounda to take me but even he would not get out of his boat at the island. It certainly wasn't a tourist attraction then and was very overgrown with weeds. When I returned more recently it had been smartened up considerably and there were organised tours!
We went to crete 2 yrs ago through Olympic holidays and stayed in Stalis and went on organised trips through our rep. I know most people advise against this but it was part of an offer and we got 3 trips for the price of 2.
One of these trips was to Spinalonga and i have to say it was probably the best trip we went on. We travelled to Ag Nic and then onto Elounda where we got the boat over to Spinalonga. It was quite a strange feeling to listen to what had happened there but it was very interesting. We then got back on the boat and was taken round to a small beach area where we had a barbeque and you could go on the beach or dive in the sea off the boat - it was great.
We also did a trip to Chrissi island and i have to say it was not as good as we expected - although obviously everyone has there own opinion - it was made to sound like a paradise island but did not live upto its high expectations.
We also did a trip called Unknown Crete which was a good bus trip around the island and you get to do a little wine tasting, watch a lovely man doing pottery and stop off at a little taverna for lunch which is lovely.

Hope you have a great time. :)
Hi Lovelindos. If you,ve been to Spinalonga and heard it,s history you must read the book i,ve just read. It,s brill. It,s called The Island but can,t remember the author. Perhaps someone else can provide this. I can,t believe the amount of posts that have been posted about this subject. Brill!!
Hi is the author not Victoria Hislop
Margaret :think
yes it is. Thanks for that :)
Just returned from a week's holiday in Elounda and we visited Spinalonga. Had a fantastic trip and would highly recommend. The trip we went on cost 18 euros each but included a b-b-que on Plaka on a lovely secluded beach which was stunning. You can travel across from Elounda to the island for less, I think we were quoted 8 euros without the b-b-que. They have boats leaving Elounda every 30 minutes so you can be sure of catching one to visit the island any time of the day.

Elounda is really feeling the pinch with british tourists this year and the boat we travelled on to the island had only three couples which was great as it seemed as if we had our private charter.

The book you mention is called the Island which I am reading now and highly recommended if you are going to visit Spinalonga as really offers an insight in to the island and what went on.

Can't wait to return to Crete next year as we loved the people, food, scenery, beaches.

Have a great holiday, we did and will be definitely returning.
Hi. Thanks for that info and glad the trip is worth it. Enjoy the book. as you say gives you a better idea of what happened on island. I can,t wait
just noticed that there is a programme on Spinalonga at 8pm on BBC2 tonight.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.