UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
St. Ives ...
17 Posts
Hi there,
We stayed at a caravan park which is above the town, you walk down into St. Ives. You have good views of the bay.
It is called Ayr Park.
Regards
Dawn :)
Thanks for that Dawn. Is it far to walk into the town? What is the accomodation like? I have looked at the website for the park but it does not show many photos of inside rooms. Does the park have any facilites (a pub or somewhere to eat)?
Hi
The caravan we stayed in was very nice, we were lucky we had a sea view. Ours was a large van because there are five of us. There is a large camp site for tourers and tents Lots of open space for the children to play.
We were there a few years ago, when we were there it had a playroom with games. I can't remember a snack bar, or a pub. It may have altered since then.
I must add though, as it is on top of the town, there are hills. Its not so bad going down, but a bit of a climb coming back.
As the streets are quite narrow they can be quite congested if cars go into the town. We didn't use our car much because of this. We were a lot fitter when we were there!
Dawn
hi davie - a good place to start looking is http://www.westcountrynow.co.uk - its a tourist board site i think or similar. but if you go to accomodation and click on the map for the st ives area it will give you a good selection of accomodation :D :D

lyn
we have just booked a nice b&b in st ives for august.

anyone got recommendations for restaurants and pubs/bars in st ives please - been a while since i went.

cheers
We love St Ives and go regularly. Last year we found a great restaurant which we thought was very good value, Slipways in Fish Street
http://www.eatoutcornwall.com/cornwall-restaurant/details-restaurant.php?pv=6035

We love going to the Porthgwidden Beach Cafe for lunch, go early and get the window seat. We have had breakfast outside here which was lovely. We haven't been on an evening but hope to this year
http://www.porthminstercafe.co.uk/pg_lunch.htm

We have been told by friends that the Porthminster cafe is also excellent if you are nearer to that beach. Hope to try that one too this year. I think it must be run by the same people as the previous one judging by the websites
http://www.porthminstercafe.co.uk/dinner.htm

We are REALLY looking forward to visiting St Ives again soon
We lunched at the Porthminster Beach Cafe & thought it so good that we wanted to return for dinner. But they were fully booked and recommended we try the Porthgwidden, which had some room. Had an excellent meal there. Lunch is a good deal cheaper than dinner at both places - I'd recommend giving both a try.

- Tony -
Hi all
we have been told that if you pay for a long term parking ticket in St Ives (4 days) that it covers all car parks in the penrith (penwith?!) area ?

Does anyone know any more on that ?

Cheers

Dan
No idea! But I do know that UK council websites are usually in the format councilname.gov.uk so I tried Penwith and it works. They have a whole section on car parks within "Visiting Penwith" and still don't answer your question, they don't even mention season tickets - but they do show an email address you can use to ask them direct. I think you'd better make sure of the difference between a long stay ticket and a season ticket (if they do one), long stay tickets normally assume you won't be moving the car at all.
:(

Sorry but i dont think it does, we have been loads of times and have always brought car parking tickets at other car parks around. unless its changed in the last couple of yrs.

Ps good luck getting a car park space in St Ives !!!!!

Pip
x
Hi
Called them and a long stay ticket covers penzance and surrounding area but not down as far as Falmouth

And to the op above , we are leaving tommorow and i know parking will be fine at this time of the year , wouldnt touch st ives in the summer any more

Dan
:tup

Thanks for the info will try and remember, yes you should be ok going down today, We always make sure we get there for around 6-7 in the mornings never had a problem then been going for over 30yrs.

Have a great time.

pip
x
Hi Pip

Thanks ,when were small , a long time ago !! st ives never seemed so packed in the summer as it does now ?!? so we always try to go in winter now if we can , the scenery etc is still the same and you can take your dogs on the beach !!

Dan
The Sloop Inn right close to the beach is a great place to stay and the location cannot be bettered. They often do good deals etc. Good beer and food and prices not over the top. Google Sloop Inn they have a website.

Pete
I am hoping to go and stay for a week in June/July time next year. Anyone know of any cottages with parking for 4 adults and 2 babies? One room must have en suite.

Any advice greatly received
:cheers
We spent a short time there last week. Not sure about parking. From what I could see even getting a car into the town is a problem.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.