Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
The water park is actually part of one of the hotels on site so wouldn't be accessible by foot. The main car parking area, and hotels, are a monorail trip from the actual entrance.

Sorry couldn't comment on the caravan park.
Ah right no worries, thanks for explaining.

I suppose the question now is.... is the main entrance walkable from this camp site?

Ta
balearicjobs.

i've just checked the website for this camp site just to make sure its the site i remember,

for the last two years we had a holiday in this area. we paid for a yearly season ticket to alton towers ( hense going two years running!). we would drop my daughter and her friend off outside the front gate ,then go out for the day and meet up in the park later. a perfect holiday for all.

we passed this camp site everyday. from the outside it looked good. the sort of place, in my tent days i could have easily stayed at. the camp is a good mile to the gates of alton towers and there were people who walked from this camp. but do bare in mind the road had no paths for most of the way and was a bit narrow in places. i did see some people walking with pushchairs which was a bit scarey.

once at the gates there is still a bit of a walk up to the entrance.
the water park and hotel is right at the back of the park and must be a good 20 - 30 minute walk from the main gates. from talking to someone in the park you can pay for a day pass to the water park but we didn't do this.

if you are into camping or caravaning this is the nearest campsite to alton towers. i hope this has been of some help to you. medot.xx
Thanks very much Medot

All sounds good then, we are two adults walking on our own so walking on country roads should be fine.

The day pass costs £12 per adult by the way.
pleased to help balearicjobs.

there was also quite a nice pub on the corner of this camp site which we ate at once. medot.xx
medot wrote:
...20 - 30 minute walk from the main gates. from talking to someone in the park you can pay for a day pass to the water park but we didn't do this.

Thanks again, might pop into there for sunday lunch if they do it...

Just wondering... is there no transport provided from the main gates to the water park?... somebody before mentioned something about a monorail?
balearicjobs

right. when you get to the main entrance to alton towers this is not the actual entrance to the park. you go in the gates then along the road for a couple of minutes. you then reach the dropping off spot or the mega expensive carpark!!!! this is the entrance to alton towers theme park with all the rides. you can pick the mono rail up from here. it will only take you as far as the main carpark which is a good 10 - 15 minutes walk right over the other side. on the monorail ( which is free ) you can see some of the park and you should see the hotel. the monorail goes to the other end which will be the cheapy carpark (!) splash landing hotel is somewhere around here.

it might be worth checking out Alton towers website for maps etc.
http://www.alton-towers.co.uk/resort/

i've had a look and i'm not sure whether the water park is geared up for too much "adult fun rides". medot.xx
Yes that's right the splash landings Hotel is right by the monorail car park exit. Incidently at the moment car park prices are £3 cheapie? and £6 near the entrance.
Incidently at the moment car park prices are £3 cheapie? and £6 near the entrance

thats very good. cheapie last august was £5 and expensive was £8. medot.xx
thats very good. cheapie last august was £5 and expensive was £8. medot.xx

I did say at the moment LOL :wink: No doubt they will duly put it up by then again. Can you imagine just how much they make alone on mere car parking fees? :hmmm
We are just back from this site having stayed for a week, and it was brilliant!

Staff are all excellent and friendly, the site is safe and secure and very family friendly.

Our caravan was situated directly opposite the play park, and our kids had the time of their life.

The site operates a no noise policy after 11 at night, and although it was very bust with tourers the week-end of our stay, we were not interupted during the night.

The site is very clean and tidy, and we could not fault our caravan in any way.

Yiu could walk to Alton Towers from the site, but I would not reccomend doing it with very young children, as there is no pavement and it is a fairly narrow country road, which can be quite busy, I reckon it would take a good half hour to walk.

This site is well worth a visit as it is well situated and makes an excellent base for sight seeing, we will definately be going back!

Hope this helps!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.