General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We bought a set of Samsonite hard bodied cases about 8 years ago & they've been great. However, the largest one appx 29" weighs 5.5kg empty which was a nightmare when travelling with Thomas Cook last month with only 15kg allowance. I was left wondering how a family with young kids cope if they are under the age to qualify for a luggage allowance :que I've spotted some frameless, ultra light luggage by "International Traveller" in TJHughes which only weighs 3.5kg for 28" so might get those.
We invested in hard Carlton Cases about 15 years ago, last year when one arrived on the reclaim the seal was dented and opened. I did get a form to claim but the case was too old. Hubby managed to get the dent out but we have replaced it. We got the new one from Amazon its amazing what you can buy on there. CBG
i was told last year that soon the airlines are gonna stop pasengers using the hard cases
anyone else heard that
its something to do with the fact they cant squeeze as many in the hold
Not heard that one!! But nothing would surprise me !!!! Denny
Hard cases are already banned from many safari and other adventure-type holidays, because of the transportation problems, so you can't really blame the airlines if they stop people using them as well. Imagine the problems they'd face if everyone had them and they just wouldn't all physically fit on the plane :yikes

In 30-odd years of air travel, the only time I've had a soft case ripped was when I decided to throw in some spare coathangers at the last minute and the hook of one of them went through the side of the case. Nowadays, if I think I'll need spare hangers, I try and remember to shove them in halfway through the packing, so they've got plenty of clothes around them for protection.

Elaine
never tried hard cases but had both cheap and expensive soft one's both have end up crushed or handles broken off after 3 or 4 trips so i only buy the cheaper ones now...
Last year and the year before, I had suitcases damaged so they couldn't be used again, and the insurance company refused to pay out as I "didn't speak to anyone at the airport", but seeing as it was like 6.30am, no-one was around, all doors were shut. I had the feet broken off so the cases wouldn't ever stand up again and are useless!

For this year, I've bought a trolley bag, 32" long and I've got loads of space left in it. It only weighs 4kgs when empty, but I've got everything in I need and it still only weighs 18kg! There is no chance of the wheels getting broken off as they are well protected within the base of the bag. It's dark blue and from Argos. It should have cost £29.99, but got it for £14.99! I'm well pleased with it. I'm also using my bright green and yellow striped strap on it too so I'll know it's mine, in case anyone else has got one too!!
In 2006 i went to Egypt, i bought a nice soft case in my favourite colour i had a choice of medium or large and of course i went for the larger one thinking i could fit more stuff in it! Didnt even fill it up when packing! when got to Egypt and reclaimed it all the top had smashed in and ripped open because there wasnt enough in it to cushion it! Luckily nothing had come out of it.

I went to the rep and they were very good cause i was worried about trying to get a new one, thankfully they took the suitcase away and got a someone to stitch it up for me. When i got it back you couldn't even tell that it had been stitched up it was that good. Thankfully got all my stuff home safe and sound! :D
I found a near perfect bag. 52x32x20 , light weight (approx a kilo) two integrated lightweight wheels, cost £6!
It was in one those cheap looking bags shops you get in most towns, this one was called Global. The product name was Compass and it was made by Sunrise bags.
It was around the Shopping trolley type bags.. and is perfect.
I got a American tourister one in Rosebys last week for £11.99 and I 'm well chuffed with it
fiona
Have flown a couple of times recently with Easyjet on their LGW/Faro route and at the gate, their "cradle" was missing and the sign said something along the lines of "as long as you can put it into the overhead locker you could take it on board, within reason!". I only ever have hand luggage so check in on line and go straight to the gate and no-one has ever commented on baggage and I usually have a handbag and hand luggage. Hope this helps. Regards, Scoya.
Tesco have at the moment this;

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3669.aspx

Not a bad price for a hard shell case and not too big.

Robby :wink:
not a bad price but a bit small for all my luggage( lol )
airlines will soon be refusing the hardshell cases because tehy cant pack as many in the hold
thats why they are being sold off so cheap
and that came from a crew member who works for virgin
Really? :really

(I had better not sell the two soft cases I have got then - was going to take them to the car bootie next week.)
Even better, add a juicer for £5 http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-7689.aspx
Add a sim card for free delivery http://direct.tesco.com/search/default.aspx?search=sim
Use the discount code TDX-NCCL for £5 off £20 and it all comes to £17.47 delivered, even cheaper through say Quidco. Throw the sim away if not needed, it's cheaper than paying for delivery, or be cheeky and get a refund on it!!!!!!!!!!

So, get a cheap flight to the Algarve and fill the hard shell case with cheap juicy oranges and you can juice them when you get home.

Robby :wink:
airlines will soon be refusing the hardshell cases because tehy cant pack as many in the hold

Eh? I don't get this, a soft case packed to capacity will take up just as much room as a hardshell case of the same dimensions. And as the luggage allowances are based on the total weight of a packed case it doesn't matter either how much the empty case weighs. If the airlines want to increase the number of cases they can pack in the hold then they'd actually be better off trying to make us all use smaller cases by reducing the luggage allowances and charging us a fortune for the excess. OOoops! Some of them already are! Or charging us to check-in luggage! Drat O'Leary is already on to that one too!

SMa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.