France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Just got back this morning and had no problems using a Barclays Connect card in the pumps at E L'Eclerq & Intermarche. First time we've tried it (although we did make sure we tried when the cabin was manned just in case...)
We managed ok at the supermarkets when touring in May 2008, we bought diesel in Normandy, The Loire, and Charente Maritime without any problems yet we had problems when over there in September 2007 and had to pay cash at quite a few places which depleted our cash quite a bit :(
It is still rather hit and miss - certainly at my local petrol station which is all credit card, it does say 'NO UK CARDS', and many automatic pumps require you to put your card in and follow the instructions ... choosing your grade of petrol, putting in your pin number before it allows you to fill the tank, so you will soon see if your card works or not!!
We had no problems in the past 2 years, just had to follow the instructions carefully.
Used Nationwide, no commission.
Whereas this year we did
so far not got one to work although we did get one fuel pump go "En Panne" whilst we were using it so got 11 litres of diesel for nothing :D pity it wasn't 51 litres
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.