Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
For great views try Doyles on the Quay. We found Sydney was a bit on the expensive side, we last visited 2006
Hubby said packet of crisps by the Opera House :think :rofl
He could be right, with the current exchange rate that's about all we'll be able to afford on our next visit in March.
Alan
Hello Gramps - As an active participant on the Goa Forum like me, I'm sure you'll have found somewhere that offers good food and value in Sydney. Perhaps not quite Goan prices but as you say, with current exchange rates, it's notgoing to be cheap! Any suggestions?

We're off on Sunday for 5 days in Sydney, 3 weeks in Adelaide (with family) and a week in Thailand.
Prices certainly have gone up since the very first time we visited Oz back in 2006. When we went again early in 2009 we actually got an extraordinary exchange rate of 2.3 pounds to 1 australian dollar ; now I just cry when I look at the rate!! The tax on flying has also meant an increase on the tickets, so all in all, Australia is beginning to get just a little bit expensive and this was the reason for the question. Unless things improve (highly unlikely) I honestly can't see us getting to Oz again.

Rosalyn
Wasn't it the other way round Babs A$ 2.3 to the pound ? I think the first time I went it was around 3 dollars to the pound and we found things really cheap over there.

Judith
Oops. :duh That's probably why I failed my GCE 'O'Level Maths! I'm actually quite good at spending money though :rofl

Rosalyn
even two years ago I managed to buy my AU$ at 2.48 to the pound, if I'd known was was ahead, I'd have bought a lot more, as we go to OZ every two year
Alan
Crikey, if things are really expensive, it looks like I'm going to be needing a lot of money for 7 weeks. :yikes ....
Oh well, I'll be blowing my kid's inheritance away.

Sanji x
Talking of money.....a minor subject. :lol:
What is the best way to take money to OZ.?

I'm thinking dollars/cash and using the plastic......hubby ( bless him) mentioned travellers cheques.
I (we) have only got a HSBC debit/credit card and I was going to load the account up and use the debit card and if needs be the CC.

Any advice which is the best thing to do.?

Thanks

Sorry Babs for hijacking your thread. :oops:
As they say in Oz Sanji - 'No Worries'. Personally I would be wary of travellers cheques. We haven't used them for years and when we were out at the Barrier Reef we did speak to a lady who was experiencing problems changing them. It's possible you'd have no trouble in the major cities, but as I have already said, I wouldn't use them. We've always taken an initial £100 equivalent in Aussie dollars as a starter and then simply withdrawn money from atms as and when we needed to. Credit cards are always useful for bigger purchases. We have taken a little netbook with us so that we can keep an eye on our cash flow and if necessary move money between accounts - we've always used Nationwide for holiday spends, although they are now charging for withdrawals. Some people opt for the pre-paid cards but I haven't really looked into them but I know there is a thread here which will give you an idea of whether they would suit you.

Rosalyn

PS: Can I have my thread back please :rofl
No,not yet. We don't go until February so plenty of time to make a decision.
thread back on line Babs...
Try the Telecom Tower restaurant at about A$70 a go... expensive but expansive ;) ;)

Back off thread Sanji, send your son a cheque and get him to open a current account that you can use. That way there won't be any charges.

Back on thread, quite a few restaurants around Darling Harbour.
PARKY45 wrote:
Back off thread Sanji, send your son a cheque and get him to open a current account that you can use. That way there won't be any charges.

I believe Sanji's son has already left Australia and is living in Singapore.
Doh! :duh

It is possible to open your own account providing you have a semi-permanent address. My wife's uncle did it acouple of years ago, but there'd be a time lag with the cheque being cleared. Money transfer's another way to get the money into an account, but will cost $20.

We'll be in Sydney in January, so see you there Sanji. Darling Harbour down the steps at the Chinese!
;) ;)
Okay, don't laugh but whilst looking for the elusive restaurant hubby has stumbled upon Harry's Cafe De Wheels!!! He loves his pies and when he looked at the website his eyes lit up with glee. It's not quite what I had hoped for (to say the least), but price-wise he absolutely loves it. Guess we might have to try it, but I'm still determined to find the restaurant I want.

Rosalyn
Right Babs, here's something we have just done. We joined the local Power Boat Club which is affiliated to other clubs. We're also joining the RSL Club (similar to British Legion, but no formalities), owned by the same group, who also own the Surf Club.

Unfortunately the membership is A$ 5.50 which you can save on your first visit.

You just sign in to the clubs and they do excellent food. As a member you will get a discount on drinks and food which is not expensive and excellent quality.

The main advantage of the surf clubs is that they are set up off the beach and have great views and better value than city centre places.

If hubby likes a steak, look up one of these places in most cities. The best steak in town.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.