Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
The last litre bottle of Bells Whisky I bought in Spain cost me €12.40. I challenge
you to buy one for less than that in the UK! You can only buy duty-free goods at UK
airports if your final destination is outside the EU.

Best place for cheap booze is undoubtedly Gibraltar.

A.M.
Unless it's changed, only 100ml of liquids can be taken through customs.
More information will be available in the Flights/Airlines forum. Linda.
Aguila Mike is quite right. No way you can buy whisky cheaper in the UK. In Gib, if you shop around, a litre (not Bells, maybe Highland Collie) can be had for £3.
LindaSmith wrote:

Not quite right. Only liquids up to 100mls each can be taken through security as hand luggage, Customs is a different thing.

Any amounts larger than 100mls need to go in your checked baggage.

luci :wave

Hi Linda.
I think that 100 mls refers to hand luggage,Taking goods into Spain..... you are allowed one litre only per person of drink over 22% alcohol of volume or 2 litres less than 22% alcohol of volume and these will have to go into your suitcase and in the aircraft hold.

Sanjiiiiiiiiii
Lol, I was thinking that I for one wouldn't put a bottle of whisky in my suitcase! But thanks for putting me wise! Linda.
I for one wouldn't put a bottle of whisky in my suitcase!

Neither would I....I might coming home, (years ago) so if the clothes get ruined it's not too much of a disaster, :lol: but now considering Thomson are charging 10 euros for every kilo of excess weight and considering the prices in Spain, even at the airport after check-in, then I personally wouldn't even think about putting bottles of drink in my case and wouldn't dream of taking drink to Spain.
It would have to be for someone very very special and something that you cannot get in Spain or Gib before I'd do it..

If you saw the state of some of my packets of cigs and my suitcase on arrival back at East Midlands last week, then if you are going to put alcohol in the case, wrap it up in tons of "bubble wrap" and clothes.....We watched the baggage handlers at EMA through the gaps in the screen strips and they were throwing them onto the belt, like a shot putter in the Olympics seeking a world record....and I thought I'd packed my cartons of cigs so that they wouldn't get squashed to hell. :(

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
yes,they throw the cases like they were rubbish.I was watching once,thy were throwing a guitar case on :duh ,my hubby said he was glad it wasn`t his.
At the very bottom of San Miguel St. there is a small supermercado that is selling Grants ! litre for 9.95 euros.
you wont be able to get it into the country unless you are driving there. but as numerous people here say, it's cheaper there anyway. cant see why you'd want to risk smashing a bottle of whisky in your luggage even if you were saving a few quid!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.