EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
I would steer well clear of Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran.

You would probably be able to afford the housing but working women are frowned upon and even if you do speak the lingo you will be harassed at best, and kidnapped at worse.

With these three places out of the running, could you be a little more specific about the countries that you are considering?
How funny, you cheered up my day!

I was thinking Greece or Cyprus as I used to work in Crete and speak a bit of the lingo but the worry is the holiday season is only April - Oct then what do I do in the winter?

Done the holiday rep thing in my 20's so would want something less hectic but limited to tourism really.

Talking myself out of it again.......... :roll:
don't come to turkey, working here is nearly impossible! however, put your dosh from your house in a turkish bank at 19% and live handsomely off the interest!
Really, can anyone do this?
Is this for real?
Have you got money in a Turkish bank?
Got the deposit for an overseas property sitting making lots of money for the tax man so if it's better to move it I will.

Miss Moneypenny
to open a turkish bank , you need a tax number. This takes 20 minutes. then you go to a bank (in my case sekerbank) and it takes about an hour to open an account. if you have more than 100, 000 ytl (40,000 quid) then you get an interest rate of 19 % on a 50 day account. this is compounded so you get interest on your interest! 15% is then taxed so your net is 16.25%
It has to be a ytl account , but the currency is strong and your money can be moved in an instant if things go wrong ( they havent for the last 3 1/2 years I've been here.)
Don't tell everyone else there might be an invasion!
Bearing, of course, into account the effects of inflation which ran close to 10% in 2007 :wink:

Source: http://www.indexmundi.com/turkey/inflation_rate_(consumer_prices).html

Mark :D
agreed mark... but the main culprits to the inflation rate were petrol, loans, alcohol and ciggies.... petrol has now gone down, luckile inports are bearing the brunt of the tax hikes.... loans are just ridiculous...22% and credit cards are crazy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.