General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Re: The Euro.
193 Posts
Just a word of caution ....

It's great to see the rates move upwards, but don't forget that some places will not have made their charges/percentages/commission rates/minimum purchase rate etc available to you in such large friendly letters ....
hi marlou...heard of them but never used them...its sometimes the same if not better to use the likes of tesco , thomascook ect....as though they offer better rates...by the time you pay commission delivery ect they are the same or less...and means using your cards on the net....there was a company ...think it was crown currancy ...well known ...trusted ect....but it went without warning....taking everyones holiday cash with it....thats why I use thomascook online....as can get a good rate...order at that rate....and my cash stays with me untill I collect the euros....tweetie
ICE Travel now 1.2169

Recon it might even hit 1.22 for Fri
Travelex is the one we use all the time,order before on the internet and pick up at the airport, 1.21 for euros today, saves going into town and getting a lower rate
shrimper wrote:
Travelex is the one we use all the time,order before on the internet and pick up at the airport, 1.21 for euros today, saves going into town and getting a lower rate

The ones in town, that will give you a lower rate will be the travel shops, but we now have other places that beat the travel shops hands down

Places like cash convector/generator, never would I have thought about going to any of them, but with rate comparable to online rates, there well worth a look into, and yesterday my local cash generator rate was 1.2125 to the pound

There are also the exchanges places soley doing currency exchanges, like ICE travel, and there current rate 1.2169

Now none of the 2 main travel shops, thomas cook/thomsons will price match, and unless you order online you wont get the rate advertised on line, so thomas cook at the moment advertising 1.21, which if you walk into the shop you wont get this rate, your likely to get 1.17
hi ...at the moment 1.21 at thomasccok online...and its straight forward to get it...always get mine this way..I check each day till happy with rate...then buy before it changes

1/ go on line....thomascook....exras...travel money
2/ enter the amount of pounds you want changing...choose to euro...click convert
3/ fill in details...and choose collect and pay in store
4/ print copy of transaction to take store
5/ if large amount phone store to check they have the funds
6/ go to store ...show your proof...pay for them and collect

no credit cards needed...no commission or fees...and will get internet rates...tweetie

ps...no I dont work for them..and no I dont hokd shares...just found them the best and easiest root to a good rate
Don't forget to go to pick them up the same day as you order online, as the rates are only guaranteed until close of business the day you order.
thanks sunnaddict... :duh forgot to put that bit....tweetie
Hi tweetie. I only mentioned it because it's caused a number of complaints from people going in the day after and getting a lower rate!
Thomas cook claim by email, get special rate today €1.21, cant be that special when I got €1.2140 yesterday

Double checked ICE Travel, and there rate is now €1.2180
hi ...yes 1.218 is a good rate...need take this into account....it is delivery only and

Cost: £4.75 up to £450. Free for larger amounts.
FSA Authorised?: No

Also you need pay by bank card or credit card...and if you buy cash with credit card its usualy a 2.5 % fee and intrest from day 1

here is link to somewhere you can compere rates and costs ect...

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/#results
I have used travelfx and found them very good. You have to pay direct from your bank they do not take card payments. Their rates are excellent for all currencies. Postage is free for amounts over £500.
They email you and keep you informed from receiving payment to posting your currency.
Hi ....your lucky if you live in London and can get to this place...offering today

1.2429...no mention of commission ect....order on line ...print voucher ...collect and pay at the shop within 8hrs....tweetie

http://www2.moneycorp.com/page/travelmoney/
I usually get mine from Sainsbury's.

Nectar Cardholder rate is better than either of the other two choices available locally.
When I changed mine in February the rate was about 1.18 maximum with asda shops offering 1.16.
I rang asda up and as I was getting £1000 worth they matched the highest internet rate of 1.18, I then went into the shop later that day and picked them up!
Obviously in hindsight I wish I'd waited as we don't go until July and the rate is a lot better now but I'm always checking the euro rates and for the last 3 or 4 years it has peaked at about 1.19 and then dropped down to about 1.10 so I thought I'd get them at 1.18.
The rest we will just use the atms on holiday so I'm hoping they stay as they are or go up!!!

Just remember it's always worth phoning and asking a shop if they'll match the internet! Can't hurt for the sake of a phone call!
Hi all
Have been considering ordering my currency on line. Have read that apparently the OFT have more or less ordered that fees for buying foreign currency with a card in the UK were going to be scrapped. Did say also by the end of 2012. I have a Santander debit card, and have asked if I will be charged, and have been told confusing answers. Any one used theirs online and have been charged? I do intend getting over £500 worth of Euros. I want to know if I am going to gain anything?
Should I go to counter to buy them or is it better in the end to order on line.?

Dawnie-Rob
I have a tesco credit card and I don't have to pay a fee for using it when I order currency through Tesco. They normally have very good rates. I've just tried their 'buy online' link and it seems to be broken at the moment.

Here's their webpage http://www.tescobank.com/personal/finance/travel/travelmoney/index.html?cmpid=search/Google/
I have a Tesco card too shirley and have used it previously for ordering currency . I see they say no cash advance fee but be careful .. As with most currency purchases on a cc they are classed as a cash withdrawal and whilst they may waiver the fee at time of purchase there will probably be interest calculated from the date of purchase until the bill has been paid. Probably not a lot unless you are planning to buy many thousands but something to be aware of .
ah right no sorry , looks like they are now treating it as a purchase so hopefully that fee shouldnt apply if you use your tesco CC.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.