Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Indeed i would Julie, indeed i would. Going just for 3 nights on Monday!

Best Regards - Taggy
No!!,I do love Benidorm but I wouldnt wear the T shirt!!,not any advertising.
The Mayor of Benidorm wants us to wear these T Shirts!!.The mayor of Benidorm says it is safe for tourists!!.Have a look on http://www.costablanca-news.com the residents and bar owners in Benidorm have got a petition together this week,about the crime in Benidorm on the tourists,and the Mayor wants you to wear these T Shirts!! your falling into his hands,hook line and sinker.
If your going to wear the T Shirt ,you might as well have mug me on the back!!.
Hi Crispy ... I did read that report yesterday and while no one would dispute that there is crime in Benidorm, just as there is in any large resort or city, I would treat some of the comments attributed to those unnamed sources with a degree of scepticism.

7 out of 10 people walking into one particular bar were mugged ?? I don't think so, although it is unclear if those alleged muggings happened before reaching the premises, or if it was perhaps when that particular bar owner presented them with their bill.

Yes, they want increased policing (as most resorts and cities do) and they also need improved street lighting in some areas. That is partly the aim of their petition, but some seem to be failing to recognise the negative effect that some of these allegations will have on local business and tourism, especially if read by those who have never been to Benidorm before.

As for the t-shirt campaign, it's about wearing the t-shirt at home and around the world to promote Benidorm, not necessarily to wear it in the resort.

David :wave
I would also like to add.....
The funding for Benidorm comes from the Government in Madrid and it is based on the permanent population numbers.
Some of these residents have not registered with the town hall as permanent residents and are therefore not helping the situation for the Ayuntamiento to approach Madrid for more funding for extra police officers, as per the true numbers of permanent residents in the resort.
This is a common problem throughout Spain, when people have their cake and want to eat it, and flit back and forth between Spain and the Uk, to beat both systems.

Crime is happening everywhere, I personally felt more vunerable in Valencia than I have ever done in Benidorm and my son was in Barcelona for the New Year celebrations and it seems from what he has told me....it's even worse there.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
I have an apartment in Benidorm for 8 years and Iam a regular visitor I have only saw 1 person who was mugged.
I have read in the Costa Blanca News about the bar owner who was mugged and where she was mugged (Rinconada Reall)

This is a very badly lit street near the outdoor market and I wouldnt advice anyone to walk down there late at night.

But I dont think Benidorm is any worse than any town of this size in the UK

Jim
Tshirts wont fix Benidroms problems.
Tshirts wont fix Benidroms problems.

No it won't and it was never meant to either, it was just a publicity excerise to try and counter balance the continuing bad image of Benidorm that the media, journalist and rival resorts constantly find pleasure in throwing at Benidorm.
Some people just can't accept the fact that millions of people of all nationalities actually do love the place.

I see you have removed your original post where you implied the mayor doesn't care about the residents or the tourists.
The mayor has a set budget to fight crime allocated from the central government in Madrid and if you think he isn't doing anything about it, then you need to take a look at what is happening in the whole of the country and realise that if he wasn't trying to keep the lid on this, then the crime rate would escalate tomorrow and go through the roof.
In an ideal world, I'm sure he would like to keep all the undesirables out of the town, let's face it, it would make his life easier if everything was honkey dory, but he has no control over the movement of illegals who have "invaded" Spain.

Times have changed and everyone has to accept that Europe is not what it was 10 years ago, including the residents of Benidorm, and it's no different than Torremolinos, Tenerife or any place while ever there are people without the papers to work and the only way to survive is by the means of crime.

Someone must be doing something, as the Spanish prisons are in the same situation as in the UK, which is full to the brim and overflowing.
When I come to Benidorm, I see more police in one day, than I've seen in 6 months in South Yorkshire.

Finally, I have a friend who lived in La Nucia in a beautiful house that looked like a mini castle, 5 years ago she would leave the house unlocked and that takes some believing, but I can promise you it is the truth.
She has just moved to Polop after having her house made like a fortress in Urb Panorama.
The Mayor/Police shift these lowlife from out of the coastal resorts and they move into the urbanisations to rob instead, so all you're doing is moving the problem from your back door to someone else's and that is NOT the solution to the problem.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
When I come to Benidorm, I see more police in one day, than I've seen in 6 months in South Yorkshire.

I totally agree Sanji, efficient policing or not, you certainly feel the presence of the Spanish Police (Nacional CNP and Guardia Civil/Local)

As for the problems of Benidorm, its come to my attention of late that the detrimental articles and the potshots are coming from the tabloids, if you search this forum and indeed google recent reviews of Benidorm from the Times, Telegraph and the Indy have been highly favourable, Benidorm was given honourable mention during the Indy's recent Spain promotion. WHy the tabloids wish to attack the town where most of its readers would consider themselves as holidaymakers is beyond me

3am in the morning (drunk or not) I'd rather be pounding leather down the Calle Gerona than Oxford Street or any other British road
I would wear it with pride.

What Benidorm needs though in all honesty is for something on the TV in the UK to show it for the 'REAL' Benidorm and not for the sights of drunken rowdiness in the square.. Benidorm for me is not about that.

Its about the culture of the people who live there, especially in the old town, the world class beaches which need to be shown off more as some of the cleanest kept in the world.

Why cant someone come up with a show that shows off the real highlights of the place instead of everyone making it look like a spanish Blackpool which sorry, it is nowhere near.

I agree with Sanj also - the last times I have been, the police presence has been great and have actually been seen and at no time have I ever felt threatened by going out in Benidorm - I also congratulate the refuse collection people over there who do a sterling job at night to keep the place rubbish free.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.