UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Walker's paradise and very peaceful. Good for young families, Singles, Over 50's etc. Not recommended for families with teen-agers 'seeking action' - otherwise fine!

While we did not receive feedback from previous visitors before departing - I can safely recommend the Lord Bagnel Inn to anyone visiting this part of Ireland.

The outside of the Hotel belies the modern and stream-line steel and cushioned interior which is very attractive. There are 39 rooms-Deluxe, Junior Suites and Signature Suites (5). Lots of paintings on the walls - the Family who own the hotel love their art (I am being complimentary!).

We requested and received a package of one night only with bed and breakfast and one evening meal in the Lord Bagnel Restaurant. When I enquired what the rooms were like, we received a complimentary upgrade to a Signature Suite! The cost per person was €89.00 (about £70.00?).

We checked in at 3pm and found the Signature Suite both spotless and very comfortable. There was a king-sized four poster bed (no cover) and a single bed (ideal for parents with children) along with a large sofa and table and writing desk. The wardrobe space provided was very generous and the bath had a separate shower carpartment. Little extras such as a 'vanity holder' which contained cotton face & ear buds) together with complimentary bottled water were nice to find in addition to soaps, shampoos and body lotions. While the room may seem cool when first entering - I would not advise raising the heat as the lowest temperature is 17 celcius and the rooms appear to get stuffy during the night if heat is left on.

The Lord Bagnel Restaurant was the Hotel's smaller restaurant and is done in dark woods with two working fireplaces-good heat. There is a more formal restaurant called The Waterfront with linen tableclothes and cut glassware - however if you are relaxing and not interested in 'dressing up' - the former will be more to your liking! The food was quite good and the variety on offer of meat and vegetarian dishes very generous. Warning, the portions are generous - starters and mains.

The Inn sits in the town of Leighlinsbridge alongside the River Barrow. There are lovely scenic walks along the Barrow that start just around the corner of the hotel (two short blocks) and immediately take you away from the small town rush. Old milestones can be viewed and a family of swans (two adults and three babies just losing their brown feathers) followed us around.

The night's sleep for a hotel in the middle of a village was peaceful and undisturbed. The suites were on the 2nd floor (e.g. 3rd floor for Americans). Breakfast is both continental with a good selection of fresh fruit and cereals and a good menue of hot dishes to order including pan cakes with berries and maple syrup. Coffee quite good!

The hotel does not have a leisure centre but plans are in place for building a pool. I would visit again and then head east to enjoy parts of South Wicklow for more hill-walking.
Thanks for your feedback Butterfield.

The Lord Bagenal Hotel, Leighlinbridge, has now been added to our Hotel Reviews section, perhaps you would like to add your comments there too ... please click here to go directly to the page. I am hoping that is the same place, as you refer to The Lord Bagnel Inn but all I can find is The Lord Bagenal Hotel, slightly different name and spelling. Please do let us know if it is not the same property.

Many thanks.

David :wave
Hi David,

Yes, the Lord Bagnel Inn is known also as the Lord Bagnel Hotel - please excuse any confusion. :whoops

Forgot to mention that drives further south in County Carlow itself are lovely and very good for walking also!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.