UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Youer boys will probably like the Wildlife and Dinosaur Park at Combe Martin, and there`s a market 2 days a week near to Woolacombe that you yourself may like to visit.
We went to the Wildlife and Dinosaur Park a few years ago, the children enjoyed it, especially seeing the otters :D

http://www.dinosaur-park.com/

I also remember going to a small, rocky cove, Mortehoe I think the village was called, and there were the most beautiful pink rocks on the beach!

CLOVELLY is worth a visit and if your children like beaches, there's a huge one at WOOLACOMBE.

Pippy :D
Thank you for reminding me, Pippy, the views from Morthoe Point are to die for, absolutely stunning!
Just a few ideas from a longtime devotee of the area:

. excellent fish & chips in Braunton. Can't remember the name, but it's the big one on the main road. Takeway & sit down.

. nearest big supermarket is Tesco in Barnstaple. Plenty of smaller shops around, though.

. try hiring bikes from Barnstaple - near the old station. Choice of routes, very flat, along disused railway lines. One goes up estauary towards Bideford, the other up the valley of the River Taw.

. the Rock Inn at Georgeham is nice & does decent food, as does the Grampus at Lee.

. Rockham Bay (down from Mortehoe Village) is excellent, as Pippy said.

. try Lee Bay (half way between Woolacombe & Ilfracombe). Looks nothing at high tide, but at mid or low tide, the rock pools are the very best. Try and find the secret "smugglers' path" which leads through the rocks from the main bay to another to the west. My daughter (6) adores it.

. Braunton Burrows on a sunny day for that "Lawrence of Arabia lost in the sand dunes" moment.

. Ruda is a good site. Nice club & bar & plenty of kiddy ents in high season. My only gripe is having to pay for the pool.

Enjoy

- Tony -
Braunton Fish and chip shop is called Squires - it is lovely, but there is a nicer one on the back road behind it- nicer food, better prices.
Ilfracombe is also worth a visit - 308 bus from Croyde to Braunton, number 3 from Braunton to Ilfracombe.
Thanks to everyone!really glad i booked!can't wait for easter[and warmer weather!!??] :shock:
We went to Ruda last June, and would definitely go back! the best points of the park is the swimming pool - £1.25 each to go in, the assault course, which my 2 boys loved!
The beach is also great (big waves) not sure if you would go in easter time though!
About Watermouth Castle, it's definitely worth a look. We spent all day there , no problem.
They have interesting museum pieces all round the castle, (old fashioned penny games everwhere) Give your boys a pound each, should keep them occupied for hours!
We went in to see the water show, and enjoyed. There's a mini golf, adventure playground, plus too many more things to mention.
All in all, we found it a good day out, and good value for money, you pay once, and then the only thing realy to pay for is for food, and the penny games!
Make sure you pick a nice dry day, as a lot of things are outside.
Next time we go, we might just stay in the Castle a few nights!
hope this helps :P
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.