Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
You may think that bad jazzy but First Choice not only put our flight to Margarita back a day but have also transfered the flight from Manchester to Gatwick!!!!!

nick :smokin
Nick,

transfered the flight from Manchester to Gatwick

A bit off topic, but I've been looking for holidays to a caribbean island that I've never been to and looked closely at Margarita with FCA. The brochure states flights from Manchester but after doing a quick search, this service has been withdrawn and they only operate out of LGW now. Back to the drawing board!

Darren
Darren we were looking for a cheapy for a group of friends booked in March for Nov. only informed of the change about 3 weeks ago. Did get some compo but doesnt really make up for the additional hassle. We would have never booked if Gatwick had been the original departure point but after looking forward so long for our hol we decided to stick with it rather than cancel.

nick :smokin
Nick,

I know what what you mean, we try as much as possible to get flights from MAN. I don't mind too much on the outbound flight, but its a hassle on the return knowing you've got at least a 3.5 hour drive back north or worse, the british train service! 3 weeks isn't much notice to make arrangements either. Margarita looks very nice, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Its looking like I'm off back to Cuba instead.

Darren
Nick, Darren,

It's my understanding that when you book a flight you are entering into a contract and it is a requirement of the carrier to get you from the agreed start point to the end point, and in your case back to the start point.

The Warsaw Convention covers this aspect. Pity is, there's no requirement for them to FLY you between the points, only convey you by some means.

Where the carrier changes the departure point from, say, Manchester to Gatwick the responsibility of getting you from Manchester to Gatwick rests withthe carrier. They could of course arrange a shuttle flight, they may use coaches or train - but the costs and responsibility rests with them.

I'd consider them to be in breach of contract if they avoided this responsibility and would point out that I intend to fly on an appropriate service, the day before if necessary, and all such costs including hotel accommodation in Gatwick will be charged to the original carrier.

I suspect you would win the case. Try ringing Ros Fernihough on 01922 621114. She has just won my case against TCD in an out of court settlement.

Mike
mike in an ideal world that would happen,but I think you will find that they have it in a clause that you either accept the changes or they offer you a full refund.

I know because virgin did the very same thing to me .
I had booked to go to Jamaica with virgin.
the flights were with air Jamaica,we were due to fly out in April from Manchester, but air Jamaica decided to cease their Manchester flights from February.

virgin informed us that we either flew from Heathrow at our own expense of travelling down to Heathrow,
or accept a refund.

I battled with virgin for over 2 months but to no avail,
they wouldn't budge. :bhead
so I decided on a refund & haven't booked with them since.
I also phoned Ros Fernihough but she told me that they were not breaching their contract as it was beyond their control.
thanks for the info., jazzykeeb.
I'm a hoarder of information as one day it will be useful. I didn't realise airlines were permitted to do what Virgin did to you - but I can see by offering a full refund they might escape legal action.

Bit of a possible fiddle for dodgy tour companies to take your money, invest it, then shortly before departure claim their supplier is no longer running the service and offer you a refund. They keep the interest earned on your money of course. Wonder how much of that goes on?
guess what!

just buy checking the Thomas cook web site (just like to see if the flights booked up)

it says that the flight on the 16th is now not available either.
so I've just phoned Thomas cook's customer liaison who has confirmed that flight on the 16th has also been cancelled due to monarch withdrawing the flight.

now they don't have an alternative flight to offer so it is just a matter of waiting to see if they can get another airline.
its just so frustrating. :bhead
you book your holiday,make all the arrangements with work & schools etc & then have to go & re arrange it all over again.
work might be flexible but I know for a fact the school won't.........
Maybe time to give Ros a call.

She will offer you free legal advice on 01922 621114
i would demand a refund and take you business elsewhere
greenshoes,
I would love to do that,
but unfortunately Thomas cook prices are not only loads cheaper than the other tour-operators for Cuba,
they also do kids all-inclusive prices up to the age of 14yrs.
so to change tour -operators I would be the one loosing out.
:roll:
thats a shame. Just keep at them and tell them you know your rights etc
hope all works out
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.