Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Can't comment on Ocean Village but I hvae been on the Thomsons ships and have no complaints whatsoever. If you book early enough you may also get a free AI upgrade. I don't think it's worth paying the extra for those unless you really like your drink!
Liz, the reason these lines offer AI is to get you booked at higher cruise prices. There is much better value to be had with better lines, and drinks on board are not so expensive. Do remember that a significant amount of time is spent off-ship in ports etc. so you cannot drink free then. The cruise you were on was available (without AI) at £369pp for about 2 weeks prior to departure, would be interesting for you to compare that with what you paid and work out what your drink really cost!

If you are decided on going on a "package" cruisedeal then Thomson undoubtedly offer an excellent product in that market, in my opinion slightly better than Island whose other ship Star is much better than Escape, but no AI available on Star.

We have moved on from the "package" lines and have discovered incredible value with much better lines.
Thanks for replies.

Hamrag, would you recommend one that has English speeking staff, Westend style shows, good entertainers and also what we did like about the I/E was the pub which had a piano and singers that sang chill out music.
Thankyou Liz.
Hi Liz,

Thomson will offer all of that, and so will NCL which I have recommended to you on your earlier discussion topic about deals etc. We don't do pubs, so cannot comment on that aspect, but every cruiseship has a pub bar, and various other bars.
Back up what the others say, remember that Island cruises are available for £299pp for the 7nights if you are flexable on dates so weigh up the costs of fixing dates and paying for that AI

OK AI does have it merits but I have found(although getting older) that I don't actualy drink that much if you get a soda card and have some stuff in the room to have pre dinner drinks. OH hardly drinks at all so 2 AI no longer worth it for us. So taking AI out of the equation means we can look at more options

You say 2 weeks will be too long, is that leaving the kids or going on the cruise, there are 10n,12n options as well as the regular 7/14.

ALL ships have the same basic format, shows, bars with music etc.

The bigger ships give you more of the same.

What sort of budget do you have?
Hi windjammer

We have a budget of around £800 each for the week, we could possibly do 10 days but wouldn't do any more than that. Its not the lenghth of time on the ship its just that its first time leaving the kids and my mother-in-law will be looking after the youngest.
I was talking to a friend yesturday who says that Royal Carribean are Formal and Informal on all ships, she was saying that there are 2 restaurants that are dicky bows etc and 4 that are smart dress, we would consider Royal Carribean if thats the case, (my hubby wont wear dinner dress everynight).
We are flexible in that we are free to go anytime September (and we only want to go from Europe as its not too long a flight).

Thanks for the other replies from Danger man and Hamrag I am not to bothered about A/I now because we prop wont spend that much on drinks.
If its reflective in the price then would consider leaving A/I to get a better ship etc.

Any help is appreciated, is it true that once you go on the Royal Car/Celebrity and Carnivsal etc we wouldn't return to Island again? We did love Island Cruises, and I wish I was back there now!

Liz.
With £800pp I am sure we can find a few for you to think about.

Has your friend actualy cruised? RCI allthough traditional it is Smart casual most of the time with a couple of full formal nights and on those if you want to avoid the DJ crowd just hit the buffet. Even on a 14night cruise it is unusual to have more than 3 formal nights so drop this idea that you wear a suite all the time you don't. Even Celebrity which is a bit more up market is smart casual most of the time.

Anyway onto some options, these are guides I am not saying book now, you need to add about £50 onto the prices you see on these links. you also get other dates in sept for similar cruises.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23595
http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23706
http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23709
http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=22022

This next one is a bargain and I would consider booking this, NCL are casual you need a bit of money £100pp to cover tips and to get best value out of the eating options.(I am booked on this ship twice this year) Barcelona has plenty of cheap flights say £50pp

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=26938

Pricing this up on a US site I can get this 7 night cruise for $674(£340) in the top inside grade and your £800 would put you into a penthouse suite with butler and other goodies like reserved seating in the theatre.( I would take the inside and spend the money on another cruise)

Current UK price for this is £619 cruise only.

Now this walks all over any offering from Thomson,Island or OV.
Thanks Windjammer

You really have found me some bargains there!

Now I am undecided between the Roya Carib inside and the NCL balcony cabin??

Have you been on the Voyager of the seas and the Norwegian Gem? If so could you tell me a bit about them please?

We will only be having the one cruise next year as we are doing a few holiday weekend breaks in England with the dog, we wont put him in Kennels and thats why we have decided to do a weeks cruise and a few weekends with him next year.(I know people think we are mad but he's the baby!)

Could you give me an idea of drinks prices and trips etc with R/C and NCL?

Thanks again for your help
Liz.
I wouldn't say you would never use Island again, but when you experience the value on better lines and newer ships your eyes will be opened. We would do Island again at the right price, and indeed did the Star last year (2.5 years after Escape, and 3 better cruises) because our 16 year old daughter came in October school week. Having said that, if she had not been going we would not have gone with Island.

This October we are taking her on Voyager, and this is costing over £100 less for the three of us than Island a year ago, so will let you know what we think. Personally would advise you go with W'J's NCL recommendation (inside) and save the money for another cruise!!
Now I am undecided between the Roya Carib inside and the NCL balcony cabin??

Have you been on the Voyager of the seas and the Norwegian Gem? If so could you tell me a bit about them please?

Not been on either, the Gem is still being built first passengers this year in OCT we are taking the main first cruise 11n and a 9 night in Dec, it will be the same as the Pearl we did last year so of the two options it is the best value and freestyle may be just what you are looking for, 10 restaurants no fixed seating etc. just need to budget for the extras(tips,pay eateries) but £100pp does it

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/shipInformation.html?shipCode=GEM

We have been on a voyager class ship(Navigator) and it is a different style completely, love the promenade and there is loads to do, need to have some money for the extras but possible a bit less than the Gem say £80pp

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?br=R&shipClassCode=VY&shipCode=VY

Now looking at the two deals they are only $100 different(with the OBC) for an inside so have a read about the ships get the brochures and read afew reviews(Pearl,Jewel for the Gem). For me there is not alot in it so itinery would play a part at these prices but they are the same anyway the other sailings in Sept may do different places and it will depend what you have done before allthough all these ports can take more than one visit to do everything.

Drinks are not two bad with the exchange rate being so good, £2-£3 covers most things. and they do a soda card which gives unlimited coke,sprite etc for a reasonable cost, we take one of these and drink less alcohol these days, US ships the wine does tend to be a bit pricy but you can find a bottle for £10-£12 usualy.
Gem
I see that the T/A on Gem is being offered at single prices of supplement of £100 which is fantastic. Wish I could all these but being away October 21-2nd November puts paid to that.

I find there are always a lot of offers in November and early December in the Caribbean and also the T/A which are later and later in the past couple of years.

Sue
I see that the T/A on Gem is being offered at single prices of supplement of £100 which is fantastic

Beware the "special" offers in the UK.

The TA on the gem was NO single sup a while back, a few took balcony cabins as a single

And they are again

Inside top grade is available on US NCL site for $512 discount TA site for $473 thats No single sup.

The balcony is $640(£320)
Thanks Windjammer and Hamrag

I am studying the reviews on both companies now and will book one of them.

Does anyone know what type of Evening Entertainment the NCL have on board? Is the balcony cabins worth the extra? I did miss daylight on the last Cruise lol!!

If we go for NCL will prob book the balcony but if we go with R/Carribean we wont.Both Itinerys are perfect but tending to favour Venice, whats the flight prices like for there?

Thanks again Liz.
Hi :wave:

I go on Voyager of the Seas in September and can't believe its been a year since I booked it!
Thanks all for help and advice in picking this ship, I'm getting excited now! :sun2
Cheers Liz.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.