America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Yes unfortunately tips rule in the US and it's something you just have to get used to. We found it alien the first couple of times we went, but now it comes naturally that you will tip 15-20% for all services.

At the bar, even if the barman just takes the top off a bottle of beer you are expected to tip $1 per drink, same with cocktail waitresses. NOt sure what you mean about the hotel, but if the bellman takes your cases to your room you should tip $1-2 per bag. Taxi driver 15-20%, waitress at a buffet $1-2 per person, full service restaurant 15-20% of the bill before tax.

That's another thing, sales tax of approx 6-8% is added to everything you buy whereas the VAT is included in the price in the UK.

Most of these people are on minimum wage, but they are taxed on tips regardless of whether they get them or not.

luci :wave
The Taxi from JFK to Manhattan costs $45 plus $4.50 for the tolls. A tip on top of that will cost you about $10 . Make sure you take an official yellow cab.
There is a shuttle bus, not sure of the price and depending on how many of you there are the taxi could be cheaper and quicker as the bus goes to lots of different hotels and yours could be the last.
You can can catch a train either the subway or LIRR but this entails changing which isn't always very good if you have a lot of luggage.

Check out http://www.tripadvisor.com On their NY City topic they have a FAQ section where all sorts of questions eg. tipping and travelling to Manhattan are answered.
Thank you both for your replies, as there are 3 of us the yellow cab seems the best bet .
If you have a lot of luggage you may not all fit in 1 Yellow cab, if not I would think about a limo, we always use AAAlimos and they have been very reliable. A town car will cost $89 or a full stretch $145 from JFK to any hotel inc of all tolls ect. It really is a good start to the holiday.

Tipping is everywhere in the US and is usually between 15-20% when eating out, which sounds a lot until you see how cheap the prices are, even when you add the tip its way less than in the UK. However if you go to the food malls then its like over here, you queue up and get your food and there will be a jar by the till, you do not have to tip, but if you do it is usually just change. Easiest way to work it out is just double the tax. ;)

Dont forget if you shop in macys to register as an overseas visitor (you will need proof - driving licence / passport) and then you do not pay any sales tax :tup You register at guest relations which is on floor 1/2 LOL If you go in the front enterance just go to the left hand side of the shop and walk through the jewelry and you will find the stairs, go up here and turn right. They also run promotions where you get free tote bags or keyrings ect if you spend X if so and you are spendin 2 x X (if that makes sense LOL) pay for things seperatly and get seperate receipts, each receipt of X or over gets a gift but a receipt for 10 x X still only gets 1 gift.

Graham
How would i go about booking a Limo transfer from JFK to a hotel about midtown.
Me and a friend are going and id like to splash out a bit, do things in style you know ;)
Sorry for the delay, I have been away on a course all week.
We booked directly from the web site of AAAlimos in New York and just filled in the online forms. You can also get in touch via the e-mail on the site and they respond very quickly. One point if booking, is that you have to input the date in US format ie 19/09/08 would be 09/19/08 on their site. I did it wrong once hence haveing to e-mail them :rofl
There are loads of Limo companies over there, this was the first one we booked and as everything went to plan we have always used them since. Last time there was only two of us and we just booked a towncar rather than a strech.

Graham
Have just realised we will be in Newark on the 2 nd Nov and trying to join our cruise ship in Manhattan and the problem is the New York marathon is that day not sure if we could rely on a taxi is there any public transport we could use
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.