Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Hi- we took the train from Civi into Rome last summer. There will be a shuttle bus to take you to the port gate. Outside the gate you walk to your right for about half a mile (sea on your right). It is best to cross the road first, as there is a slight fork in the road half way along and you want to be on the left of it. Ticket office was crowded but efficient. Cost about 9 euros each return. (Remember to validate your ticket in the yellow punching machines) When you get to Rome, you can choose to get off at St Peter's or the main station Termini. It is a LONG walk from the station entrance to the Civitavechia trains, but there is a side entrance you can use if you do not want the metro or the buses. (Plenty of taxis there) We just missed the train back that we wanted by a whisker, and had quite a long wait for the next one. (about an hour) Coming back it was extremely hot and crowded on the train. The journey takes about 1 hour 15 minutes to Termini, a bit less to St Peter's. Hope this helps.
You will find the train timetable at http://www.trenitalia.com Although it's in Italian, just put in Civitavecchia to Roma.

You can also use the ticket on metros and busses within Rome. It is a very easy journey to do, but just be very careful with your belongings, especially on public transport as Rome is notorious for pickpockets although we have done it twice from Civitavecchia and didn't have any problems.

luci :wave
Thanks, 'kate52' & 'luci HT Mod'; your info looks very helpful.

Thanks again :)
Hi ferrisfamily and welcome to HT! I forgot to welcome you earlier as I was replying from work.

When do you go on your cruise? I would be delighted if you would post a review on your return for the benefit of other members. Please check that the ship you are sailing on is listed by clicking Cruise Reviews at the top of the page. If it isn't there, let me know and I will have it added.

Thanks Luci, will do. Arrive mid July. Already post a review on the Disney Wonder for 2006.
Many thanks for your review, it will help other members. :tup
I hope you enjoy your trip to Rome. We've done it twice by train from Civitavecchia and really enjoyed it. We just bought a map for €5 from one of the stalls when we arrived and did the whole trip for a fraction of the cost of an organised excursion.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.