Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Good example of why it's better to get a private transfer if you can, over an hour longer for the transfer route I use :really
Absolutely, its about 45 mins to Calis using a private transfer.
Am I right in assuming that when you say bus you mean by public transport?
The normal journey time from Dalaman to Turunc by car is between 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours. Most travellers to Turunc will either be on a mini-bus or in a car, only if you travel on a package and have to drop off holidaymakers in Marmaris or Icmeler could it take anything near 3 hours.
Your estimates may make some holidaymakers think that the nearest airport to Turunc is Bodrum, this is not the case. Dalaman is by far the best option for Turunc,Marmaris and Icmeler.
I don't think public transport is ment there, this bus is the transfare which you pay extra for, so not really public transport.
Yes the transfer from Dalaman to Icmeler and Marmaris is only one and half hours tops, we usually do it in about one and a quarter hours driving a hire car :hyper and Turunc is certainly not an extra hour and a quarters drive from Marmaris or Icmeler.
Surely you can work it out for yourself, Let me explain it better, These are Large Buse's hired to the Tour operators that fly to the Airports, Take for instance Turunc, You will need to go through Marmaris and Icmeler to get to Turunc now both Marmaris and Icmeler are much much busier than Turunc so that says it for you, lets say you have 50 passengers most likely at least 44 of these passengers will go to Marmaris and Icmeler so it stands to reason that the bus will have many stops to let the customers go to the Hotel/Appartment whatever, Hence the Longer journey time to Turunc, Alfie some tour operators do fly to Bodrum and do buses to Marmaris and Icmeler and Turunc also point taken m8, At the end of the day yes it's is quicker via the mini bus but thats going to cost you a helluva lot more, The quickest and cheapest method to do it is to Hire a car from the Airport and make the journey driving yourself and your passengers this will cost you £23 for 1 day car hire and about £5 petrol/Diesil or gas.
Sorry, but I don't have to work it out. I have done it with a tour operator (by mini-bus - coaches and large buses are not used for Turunc as they cannot get over the mountain road) and 3 hours 15 mins is widely over the top, even with drop-offs.
I know it is possible to fly to Bodrum for Turunc, however, my main point is that Dalaman is always the best option. A private transfer last year cost £40 one way, which between a family is not expensive, and is the option most travellers use to Turunc as very few tour ops go there. A hire car for 1 day is a bit over the top, all for a saving of £12! When you are spending hundreds of pounds on a holiday, is it worth messing about filling forms in at the airport for a hire car for such a small saving?
I admit I have a vested interest, but I would not want people put off going to Turunc, because from your posting it would appear the transfer is so long. So I am attempting to state the facts.
These are approximate times given that's what was said in the first line of the post, And these are from the biggest independant tour operator from the Uk to Turkey, Now as you personally state you have a vested interest with this issue, Why would this company use these particular facts on their own website? You surely disbelieve what im saying here, If you want me to point you in the right direction for the information feel free to PM me and I will send you the link.
I am very sorry that you have taken umbrage, I did not mean to upset you in any way.
I don't disbelieve that you have seen this information on a website. I would indeed be very interested to know which tour operator it is, as the only one I know who goes to Turunc is Exclusive Escapes who state that they only use private transfers.
I am merely trying to explain what I know from personal experience, and it is obviously very different to the source of your information from the internet.
Turkey as a whole has suffered in the last few years from a lack of tourism, including Turunc, and many of the locals rely for their livelihoods on UK visitors, I would hate for their businesses to suffer further because some people are put off by the fact that they are led to believe Turunc is so inaccessible. For the record my apartment is very well booked this season, so please don't think my interests are purely personal.
On a positive note, if you have found a large tour operator who is going to Turunc this season, it could be good news for the resort. Again apologies for upsetting you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.