Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Stevie,
I hope that your son is fully recovered and reassuring to know he was well looked after in Turkey!

This is an excellent topic because many people go on holiday and buy insurance thinking they are covered and if something happens find out they are not!
If for example you have failed to disclose any pre-existing conditions, even if they were many years ago and then your claim is regarding issues related to those conditons the insurance will/may not pay out!
It is worth taking out the insurance cover to cover the existing condition even though it does bump up your premiums because it could prove costly if the worst happens on holiday! Like Stevie points out the E111 is not useful in Turkey!
A new medication my husband needs has bumped our annual family policy up by £66 which sounds alot but we have peace of mind! Our GP is very good and told us to disclose it but some may not!
Also Adults with bone breaks ect get breathylised if they are over a certain limit the insurance will not cover .....so think before you go on that Jet Ski , Para Sail , banana boat ect ....will you be covered.
Will you be covered if you jump off the boat for a swim on a booze cruise.

I went on a lazy cruise trip all inclusive after my son had his op & had a drink & still jumped off the boat for a swim ....it was not till later I thought about if I had got injured......not trying to be a kill joy ...but the amount of Brits in that hospital amazed me in for all sorts broken wrists,shin, ligament damage, tendons, gallbladder removed, dehydration, Appendix ....a constant stream ....oh & if you are not admitted & are treated & released you are expected to pay then claim the cash back when you get home heard of some getting charged 500,600,700---1000 TL which will be a big chunk out of anyones spending money :(
Yes another good point, some policies clearly say they do not cover hazzardous pursuits but do offer to cover them for an extra premium! Drink related accidents are another a grey area like you say DOA !
Our GP said to disclose everything because the insurance companies from his experience try to wriggle out of paying!
It is not being a Kill Joy but just trying to stop people coming unstuck on holiday!
It is worth while having a credit card on holiday for emergencies!
DOA wrote:
Oh and remember the E111 is no use in Turkey.

violet123 wrote:
Like Stevie points out the E111 is not useful in Turkey

Bear in mind the E111 was replaced by the EHIC card quite a few years ago. As mentioned though, Turkey is a non-EAA country and therefore they aren't applicable.

Thanks for your post Steve, it's a good illustration as to why it's Imperative travellers take out adequate insurance before leaving the UK. I hope your son makes a speedy recovery.

I won't lock this topic as it's an important issue and good to highlight it once in a while, especially on the run up to the main hoiliday season, but we also have dedicated topics for various insurance and travel related issues where these issues have been discused frequently:
EUROPEAN HEALTH INSURANCE CARD (EHIC)
TRAVEL INSURANCE: Advice, Recommendations and Q&As

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.