France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
gingernut352000 wrote:
I am well aware that August can be a busy time for the French being on holiday themselves. We are due to travel from the Tunnel down to bordeaux starting on the 25th August (uk bank hol weekend!!)

just wondering what the roads will be like. seeing as we are going south guessing many will be going north.

Thanks
Adrian

From what I remember then you're right
last time we went down the East side and there were huge multi KM tailbacks going North

but the West side of France is a lot easier to drive a lot less cities unless your doing the Paris ring road I will be following you down on the 2nd of September but going via the bridge
You will be going against most of the traffic - though there may be some buildup around Paris if you are using the Péripherique (never a nice road, comparable to the M25 on a bad day).

Remember that Bison Futé (The Crafty Bison) is your best friend .... http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/diri/Accueil.do?langue=en!

Bonnes vacances!
Well looking Good

We are HOPING that Stephanie can get work to let her finish Thursday now so we can get over 2 days earlier and so get to Benidorm by the 4th so we can meet her Brother and his wife for their Wedding anniversary and so that I will be OK to enjoy the meal (but no alcohol for me )

:rofl
Thanks seems like my thoughts are right.

Wont do Paris

Rouen then Alencon and down.

Adrian
I've done the periferique a couple of times. Not on a weekend I might add and not in rush hour. This was pre sat nav days and I didn't find it much of a problem. Just a big version of the Coventry Ring road but not as dangerous!
............. think I might give Coventry a wide berth then .............. :rofl
I went to university there and agree it is worth a wide berth.

have done the paris periferique before and my sat nav tried to turn me off through the barrier.

to be honest we like the rouen run and then we can get to the coast by la rochelle for another stop over. it nice to take the run down slowly and enjoy france.

shame we have to wait to then of August.
gingernut352000 wrote:
I went to university there and agree it is worth a wide berth.

have done the paris periferique before and my sat nav tried to turn me off through the barrier.

to be honest we like the rouen run and then we can get to the coast by la rochelle for another stop over. it nice to take the run down slowly and enjoy france.

shame we have to wait to then of August.

LOL
That's our route home usually via Exit 36 of the A10 to Twin Lakes at Soumeras out ward this year is going to be quite interesting
Calais
Baie de La Somme
Rouen
Dreux
Chartres
Sologne
Clermont Ferrand
Millau
La Jonquera
Benicassim
Bypass Valencia
ending up at Benidorm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.