General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We used to give ours a dose of Phenergan, or similar an hour before a long haul flight :oops: Something with a sedating side effect. ( I'll go quietly officer :lol: )
stickers, crayons, portable dvd player with favourite film (extravagant but can work very very well), sleep deprive them before the flight so they are knackered and sleep most of the way. Snacks, lots and lots of snacks. Books, stories. Also heard people wrap up the various things and then they can unwrap them to while away even more time.....
Try having a look through this long thread HERE. You may find some useful tips/tricks.

We took our daughter to Zante when she was just a little bit older than your son. We found that a spoonful of Calpol helped before we got on the aeroplane and she fell asleep just as we were about to take off. She didnt wake up until we had our "meal". It helped that it was an early morning flight and she was up earlier than normal.

We found that lots of books/stickers/crayons were very useful. I am sure your baby will be fine.

Sarah :)
Totally agree, books, stickers small toys and calpol. :lol: :lol: Didn't know how many people did this till at work discussing how to get kids off to sleep on christmas eve... :lol: :lol:
Get a novelty ruck sack, of his favourite cartoon, make sure it has loads of pockets in it. Put a different item in each pocket, ie crayons and pad in one, flap book in another, penny sweet bag, juice. But dont forget his favourite cuddly & blanket, and a magazine.

Dont forget its only 4 hours, by the time you get up and settled you can say thats 30 mins gone, if you make the first pocket last another 30 mins it wont be long before the food is out, after that he may well need a nap after the excitement!!!!!!!!

One major tip though, change his nappy the very last thing you do before you board, then unless he poos, you may well not have to struggle in the toilet changing him again!!!

Our eldest needed the loo right on take off once, and he had pants on, and he could not use the loo, so I had to get a nappy sack, put one of his brothers clean nappies in there opened out, and try to get him to pee onto it!!!!!!!!!!

All good fun.............looking back!!!!!!!!!
weve just come back from croatia with our 13 month old, and the flight was 3 hours , and he was an absolute dream(maybe it was just a complete fluke) but we got on the plane last so he didnt have to wait ages for take off, but being as nosey as he is, he was fasinated by what was going on with the other passengers and the cabin crew making a big fuss of him. We gave him a toy aeroplane to play with and it kept him quiet till meal time. He had a little of our food then I gave him a jar of baby food and a drink, that was nearly two hours of the flight gone, then he had a sleep which lasted just till landing,a bottle of milk was then enough to sastisfy him till we landed. We had been up since 4.30am though to get our 7am flight so he caught up on some lost sleep. Their was a few other babies/toddlers on our flight and they were all as good as gold so try not to worry to much, the new experience and excitement is enough to occupy them and tire them. Enjoy :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.