Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi Jane
The Troodos mountains are well worth a trip. You don't need to go to the top. There are lovely quaint villages along the way that you can stop and wonder through, and stop and have lunch or a drink and watch the locals going about their everyday activities.
It really doesn't have to be energetic at all. I will say that if you do go to the top to take a light jumper or cardigan as, no matter how much of a heatwave there is, it can be a bit nippy!
Was not going to hire a car so will be relying on organised trips. Thanks for the tip about taking a cardigan Fiona!
If you speak to the trip organiser I am sure they could leave you at one of the nice villages where you can wander around or sit and rest till they return if need be. Best to have a word with your doctor first if you are at all worried about doing the trip.
Mount Olympus is the highest point on Troodos at 1952m so you could check with your GP if that may be a problem....
Jeep safari may be a bit too rough as they do go off-road so perhaps a coach trip may be more suitable.
There are a few cafes around Troodos Square and Platres is very nice too although not as flat as Troodos Square (you have to walk either up, or down in Platres).
Temperatures will be high 20's or thereabouts at the end of April but up the mountain you can knock between 7 - 10C off that in daytime so you will feel the difference!

Contact Details for the Pioneer Beach Hotel:
Address: Poseidonos Ave P.O. Box 60182
Telephone: 00357 2696 4500
Fax: 00357 2696 4370
Email: reservations@pioneer-cbh.com or manager@pioneer-cbh.com or fo@pioneer-cbh.com
Thanks to all for advice. Coach trip sounds a bit more relaxing for us.

Don't think this reservations email address is working properly, my browser said it was not supported and then to my horror opened up about 100 screens and froze up my computer!
Lady Jane wrote:
Thanks to all for advice. Coach trip sounds a bit more relaxing for us.

Don't think this reservations email address is working properly, my browser said it was not supported and then to my horror opened up about 100 screens and froze up my computer!

Better to use copy + paste when using emails within a post, rather than links as most are linked to Microsoft Outlook and if that isn't your default email programme it will either fail to open or try to open up other programmes.
I went up the Troodos mountains when last in Cyprus - beautiful day on the coast when we started out ~ 80oF.
By the time we got to the top it was pouring with rain and very cold - I was wearing shorts and a polo shirt!! :cry
Went back down and about half way back the Sun came out and it was gorgeous again - I've never experienced such a contrast in weather in such a short time!! :que
Thank you all for your help. I don't think I'll bother now. lol. :rofl
brewerdave - not sure when you went but anytime towards the end of October to early May are noted for there being an extreme change in temperatures and weather conditions up our mountains....

It's such a shock to be in mid to high 70's one minute and then inside an hour be a good 10 degrees cooler with a wind coming from the wrong direction and whoops, not good at all.

We went up one February (think it was Valentines Day) with our son and his friends to do some skiing. At lunchtime we were in the cafe and at the side of us was a teenage girl and her mum, both freezing in cut off jeans and flip flops. They had left Paphos in glorious sunshine for a drive up to Mount Olympus not realising that it was possible to ski. Dad and brother were happily playing on hired sleds in the snow while the other 2 sat in the cafe freezing their butts off.
cyprus 100 - looked back thru the photos - it was around Whitsun a few years ago.
I remember being at work the first year I came here in the month of June.
A beautiful day, then all of a sudden the sky went black and the heavens opened. We had a huge deluge of water, the street I worked on flooded in a matter of minutes and there was a river of water running down the road.
It stopped just as suddenly as it started about 20 minutes later and within an hour there was no sign of the flood or any water at all.
We do have some odd weather on occasion but if there's heavy cloud on the mountain it will more than likely be raining in one place or another up there. It's very beautiful but we try to plan our days up there - just in case.
We will be going up after the end of April as a friend of ours is coming over for 10 days and we need to go to the Troodos visitors centre to brush up on our geology info on the ophiolite sequence.
We have been up there in June, when the heavens opened , you know in ancient greek they say the gods talked to each other, Thats what it put me in mind off. The thunder and lightning, was deafening.

We were lucky to be sitting in the taverna at the Green Falls, and it was great sitting there cosy and dry, the road was like a river rageing down the mountain. It was all over soon and the sun came back, and it was amazing, everthing smelled so fresh and wonderful after the soaking. .

Well worth the trip , if you can manage it, I would take a light fleece with me, at the time of the year , and a brolley in my bag lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INE7wWdItyY
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.