Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Jabs
451 Posts
stayed in Bahia Maimon in Dom Rep last month. Six of us went without any jabs whatsoever. We were all covered by tetanus though.
What do we need? What do children need?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy :?:
I think we had typhoid, tetnus, hepatitis a and took malaria tablets. Best to check with your doctor especially for the children.
hi,

I had mine just before Xmas ready for our trip next month. I had to have Typhoid, Diptheria, Tetanus and Hepatitis A. My little boy had just had his pre-school booster jabs which covered him for most, but had to have injections for hep A and Typhoid.

Everyone is being advised to take malaria tablets and you need to take tablets which contain Chloroquine. There are brands of this which allow you to take two tablets once a week. They advised us to take them 1 week before we travel, the 2 weeks we are there and then for a further 4 weeks after returning as this is deemed as an "infected" period. My local chemist actually sold me the exact amount of tablets we needed, but I hear Superdrug are cheap too!

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Karen x
Thanks all for the info, have a good trip Karen
When I went to the Dom Rep I was told by our rep,who was local,that the mozzies there did not carry malaria only dengue fever.but only in the mountainous regions
I am unable to take malaria tablets due to a medical condition and I have been fine in DR for the last 7 visits despite the fact the darn things love me. Anyone who suffers from pricky heat might want to take some antihistamine cream with them, I bought some out there in Dec last and it cost me a fortune. Don't forget to take paracetamol for headaches etc as that is very expensive compared to UK and hangovers are not unknown when AI :lol:
Lynn
If you take the Chloroquine tablets they are very very bitter, I found it helps to take them with some milk. There is also a syrup available (tastes the same). Check with you GP, all jabs where free.
There has been an increase in Malaria reported in tourists (see wesite Health Protection Agency UK 2/12/04) returning from DR , of those NONE had taken the preventative measures!

What would be use full is a spray knock down killer for any mossies which get into your room,saves trying to swat them, as we found the low voltage (110) stopped the plug in killers working effectively.

However having said that I hardly ever saw a mossie

Have Fun.
Is anyone going to the Gran ventana Dom Reb at Easter

Margaret
CoconutPalm,
Are you saying that we should take a room fly-spray with us too? The only plug-in protectors I've seen are those with round pins which we usually take to Europe, will these work in DR?
For information about any country, including health and immunisation, visit the FCO website and look up the country you're travelling to. They have lots of up to date information.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590

Darren
Hi Ippwrth

Yes if you have got room in your luggage take a small tin of knock down fly killer. The plug-ins you mentioned should work if they say 110v and used with an adapter to two flat pins. Last time we were there a mossie sneeked in at night when returning (the last night of our holiday) stung one of our children 5X on the face as they slept.(they were ok, and it did not bother them in the slightest, but did not look very nice) Knock down spray would have been handy then, saves running around the room with a rolled up newspaper late at night!!

This was probably the only mossie I saw the whole time s---s law!

Hope this helps a little.
Coco....
OK that's another thing I'll pack. Thanks for the tip.
I am a believer in 'its best to be safe than sorry' so I always take what I need however I am having a booster this time so I wont need to have anymore jabs for a while...I always take the maleria tabs I hate the thougt of getting sick...
I'm off to Cuba this year, and I understand that it is recommended to take malaria tablets(i may be wrong!?). After taking them on a Dom Rep holiday a couple of yrs ago, I'm not too keen on taking them again (they made me very ill!)

What are peoples views on this?

Thanks
What kind did you take? There are several kinds, and perhaps you should be looking at a different, but still effective, anti-malarial. I would recommend you talk to your GP/pharmacist - remember, malaria is a killer
Never taken Malaria tablets Never will.
We found very little in the way of mozzies in Cuba.
Unless you are doing trips into mountains or jungle areas i wouldn't waste your time and health on the tablets.
this may sound to you irresponsible but i had 1 bite from a mozzie in Cuba and treated it with bite sting cream.
We were advised to cover up ,use insect repellant if required but very rarely found it necessary.
Mozzies tend not to be around coastal areas so if your near the beach you should be fine.

cheers Ken.
Sorry Gopher but we went to Cayo Coco in 2003 in April and i dont normally get bitten but i got bitten Twice on my right leg just above where my shorts finished above the knee ,managed to smash one of the little blighters , people need to be speaking to their pharmacist rather than go without , i know its a personal thing but i`d rather `be safe than sorry`.
Not many people take malaria tablets to go to cuba,unless you are going to be staying in the jungles-not likely.I have been there twice myself and have never taken them.Go to the cuba board and ask that question.You will get all the answers you need from people that have been going there for years. :) http://debbiesreviews.proboards35.com/index.cgi?board=Cuba
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.