Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
I don't know if you'll find any specifically veggie cafes/restaurants - the greeks are very fond of meat, i think most would find the concept a bit strange :hmmm .
I've been going to greece for years now and things have definitely improved for us veggies. You'll find many tourist restaurants now offer veggie options on the menu - traditional dishes such as Moussaka without the meat or a mixed plate (a sort of mini mezze of veggie greek dishes) are quite common. Even if you're in a small taverna there's plenty of smaller plates/starters that are vegetarian and i've often just ordered a selection of these to share.
Hi there

I can't recommend any restaurants specifically as I do't know the places well enough, but just wanted to reassure you that I lived in Greece for 6 months and am a veggie who is quite fussy about dairy products (however being vegan would mean no Feta so not quite as strict as you) but I certainly didn't starve.

My faves were veggie moussakas, peppers, tomatoes or vine leaves stuffed with seasoned rice, and borlotti beans (I think) ina gorgeous tomato sauce.

A lot of the more touristy places have all sorts of international restaurants too, amd Greeces history is quite closely linked to Italy, so things like Spaghetti Neoploitan (the plain tomato sauce) and pizza are widely available too.
Hi thanks for replys, am sure il find something to eat! Its such a pain not being able to eat eggs as it rules out my fave fresh pasta :( but i can eat pizza if i remove most of the cheese! feta should be ok in small amounts as its from sheeps milk and its cows milk im intollerant to. I love stuffed peppers and the vine leaves, meze dishes will be great as i dont eat much in the heat.

Thanks Alison :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.