Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Ladyl,

Did you try the Old Town at all? I went to Albufeira with my girlfriend last year and we only spent 1 night on the strip cos we weren't very impressed. The Old Town on the other hand was fantastic. A much better atmosphere and some great bars offering live entertainment.

Steve
We ventured to the old town twice but had problems getting taxi back so this is why we stayed on strip.

I know everyone expects different things on holiday but hopefully better luck in next choice.
Unfortunatly August is the worst month to visit, all the Portuguese on holiday, and they don't even think about leaving the house until after 10.30. They also have a habit of filling a place up where entertainment is on, and buying one drink to last all night, hence the lack of entertainment to try to discourage them.

The really annoying thing is the taxis, as you say trying to get one is almost impossible in August. The council wanted to put extra cabs on just for the hight of the summer, but the cab drivers blocked it, because they thought they would lose business, even though it is clear they can't cope.

I am very sorry you had such a miserable time, I know if you had stayed at the old town end you would have found it far more pleasant.
Please do not judge the Algarve on that one small area most places are not like that at all :( .Although I must say that eating out is the main aspect of entertainment where ever you go in Portugal
So sorry that you did'nt enjoy, i have only just returned after 3 weeks there, we go every year and stay in the old town, i must say that this year i thought we were extremely well entertained. In 3 weeks in Albufeira we had 4 concerts 1 firework display all free and excellent. The old town was full of everybody enjoying themselves did'nt see any anything untoward just generally thousands (60,000 to see Bob Sinclair) enjoying an evening of entertainment. As said before August is when the Portugese take there annual holiday and it does get very busy hence the cabs being a problem if you walk on the beach road its really not that far to walk. I would'nt dismiss the Algarve i would try a different resort at a different time of year.
Please dont forget that Albefeira is not typical of the Algarve. Towns further west such as Lagos may be more your line, quieter and more Portuguese.
We were in Albufeira for the first time the last week of July and the first week in August and we were also very dissapointed. Enjoyed the old town but couldnt get a taxi back but then we were told we could catch a bus so we would catch the bus at about 11.15. Didnt like the strip at all for the same reasons. We also had trouble getting taxis spent ages one day trying to get a taxi the hotel rang for us no joy so we went to the rank waited and waited just gave up in the end. We were not impressed with the hotel so that didnt help. All in all we found this holiday hard work. :?
Albufeira is lovely in the off season - we have only visited in the winter months and even then have only gone to the older part. I would certainly not go in the peak season.

As has been said before Albufeira is not your true Algarve - any more than Magaluf is the true Majorca!!

The further west you go the more beautiful it becomes - lovely small coves and stunning coastal scenery. Carvoeiro, Lagos, Alvor all are much nicer resorts than Albufeira - one exception to the more western resorts is Praia Da Rocha - I can only describe it as the most ugly resort I have seen - does have a nice long sandy beach though!! Towards the airport Vilamoura, whilst a purpose built resort is still a good holiday base with some good quality hotels around the marina.

Sadly I think this is a case where perhaps not enough looking at sites such as this before booking has occured and the original poster has gone to a resort not quite suitable for their needs.
This is not a criticism - just a warning to others that not all Algarve resorts are the same.

Pippa
We did find a couple of decent pubs just off the strip, The Nags Head and Devlins which suited us together with Molly Malones at the top of the strip but otherwise decent pubs were few and far between and when you did find one they were either empty or didn't serve decent drink!!!

Given this comment from the original poster, I suspect that they should think twice about returning to the Algarve. It sounds to me that they might be more comfortable in resorts which cater much more specifically for British visitors than most resorts on the Algarve. Albufeira is not my favourite place on the Algarve and I like Pippa I have only frequented the old town and would only ever go in the off season because for me it is too noisy and lively in the high season. If Lady1 found Albufeira quiet in August then I doubt that she'll find the even quieter, more Portugese resorts to the west to her taste either.

I find that when trying to advise someone on a suitable resort for them it really helps if they can tell me which resorts they've been to in the past that they both enjoyed and didn't enjoy. Our individual tastes are all different and I personally suspect that my idea of a quiet resort is someone else's idea of a dead resort. Likewise I think many people's ideal of a lively resort is my idea of holiday hell. So in this instance, if Lady1 can give us an idea of her favorite resorts from past holidays we could all probably give her more specific info rather than just opinions based on our own preferences.

SM
  • Edited by SMa 2007-08-28 11:03:10
Sorry but i completly disagree with you. I have been going to praia da oura for the last 4 years and never had any problems. Wasn't bothered by the beggers either they just sat on the strip and we just walked straight pass them. I also think there is lots of entertainment and dozens of good bars e.g. Cafe Del Marr (always full and does karoke) Ancora, High Tide etc....and i have never seen any prostitutes. I am very sorry you didn't have a good time though.
We can all form our own opinion. At the time we were in Portugal (9th-23rd August), everything I have stated is true. My husband was actually stopped twice on the strip and asked if he was looking for sex as well as drugs! The prostitutes were being picked up over the road from the the Great British Chippy and also on "cardiac hill".

In any event, I still don't think from the size of the strip that there was much entertainment for families. The one place at the top of the strip -Choro Bar that did have tribute bands didn't start until midnight. The pubs which did have karaoke didn't have much choice of songs for the children which is why I chose the pubs I did.
In any event, I still don't think from the size of the strip that there was much entertainment for families.

If you are looking for info on other Algarve resorts you could try in future it would be helpful if you could tell us a bit more about the resorts/hotels you've visited in the past that did have the sort of entertainment that you and your family enjoyed and would be looking for again. That way we can help you based on facts rather than just our mutual and often divergent opinions.

SM
We were in Montechoro from 30 Jul to 13 August, and I too noticed a glut of beggars (perhaps not the right word to use for a collective of beggars..!!!!!!) but they didn't hassle us for money, just sat on the pavement.

There were also a lot of blokes with glo-sticks and yapping dogs trying to target the kids, but with a quick shake of the head they were gone.

We didn't really find any bars which specifically had things going on for kids, but ours were happy watching the "funny man" mime artist at the bottom of the strip.

I agree though, that the Old Town knocks spots off the Strip for atmosphere and ambience. We caught the train down every other night for something to eat, and then would wander up that little alley to watch Mario Miguel (tonight Matthew, I'm going to be...Neil Diamond!)

Slightly disappointed that Brian Cristopher wasn't in residence at Sir Harry's Bar as he had been ten years ago on our last visit - but the chap that was there was very good indeed (can't remember his name - anyone help?). However, he didn't start until 10.30 and our kids are 7 and 3 so it was a bit late for us, by the time we'd got the train back to Montechoro.

I think, and always have thought, that a holiday is what you make of it. You're going to see or experience things that aren't quite what you'd like, but hey... you'll get that in any resort in any country. It's how you deal with it that makes or breaks your holiday.
I agree with the comments in the previous post and did make the most of what we had on offer.

I didnt let it spoil my holiday but are still of the opinion that I won't be returning to this resort.

I am pleased you agreed you did not find much for the children as usually you will always find something to keep them entertained

Most people we spoke to whilst in Albefreira were of the same opinion of us in that they were disappointed and would not return to this resort.
My advice is simple - do your homework next time like read holiday forums etc :lol:
We were in Praia Da Oura from 28 July to 11 August and like Nats16 have been going for the last 4 years and have not had any problems, although we did notice this year that there were quite a few more beggars than last year but they didn't hassle you for money, they just sat on the side of the pavement.

We never saw any prostitutes but we were never in the Cardiac Hill area at night, we tended to stay at the other end of the Strip. I remember about 2 years ago, we were sitting at the bar in the Ancora at about 12.30pm when 2 women in their 60's came in and asked the Barman where the Strip Club was and he pointed them in the direction of Cardiac Hill, so maybe this is a dodgy area!

We also enjoyed watching the mime every night, he was great fun mimicking the passers by. We used to go in the Ancora Bar every night between 11.00pm and 11.30pm to watch the Tribute Bands which were quite good especially the two women that were on on Saturday nights, it was usually quite busy with families until about 12.00pm.

We've met quite alot of people who, like ourselves keep returning year after year as they enjoy it so much but I can appreciate people can have different tastes and obviously Praia Da Oura isn't for everyone. [/b]
I have to say I was also dissapointed with Albufeira, like previous posts have said many bars were empty and I thought the place lacked atmosphere due to the emptiness of the bars.

Went to the old town which was better but still didn't feel that holiday atmosphere.

I fancied a change from Spain but didn't really find that Albufeira did anything that Spain didn't do better.

Of course this is only my opinion and I would never put anyone off going there as I certainly didn't think it was a s**thole but it definately wasn't for me.

We also had some awful meals on the Strip but I blame myself for sticking to the tourist haunts.

I tried speaking a few words of Portuguese but it didn't seem to be appreciated so I gave up in the end.

Oh well, wouldn't do for us to all like the same place.
I tried speaking a few words of Portuguese but it didn't seem to be appreciated so I gave up in the end.

Sorry about your stay, but at least you tried to speak Portuguese. Its a difficult language for the English as it is not pronounced as it is written (Like English :D :D ) I'm sorry your effort was not appreciated. In most other places it would have been, and most Portuguese would have helped you. Wherever you go I hope you enjoy it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.