Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Hi stayed there couple of years ago - the place was family oriented with pools and kids club - families we spoke to were pretty happy (we are a couple late thirtys no kids so we werent quite to impressed). The place is built on a hill side with reception at the top and quite steep paths to the bottom bungalows. Try and get an upper bungalow - for 2 reasons.

First is the walk but probably more important were the thefts (at the time) The bottom apartments are near the main road into sonnenland from PDI/maspalomas. There is a small unmade road between the complex and the main road which was used by burglars who climbed the fences and broke into the apartments. They were at the time taking safes off the walls :shock: and robbing suitcases - usually on the first night.

The food was basic, buffet style with special bits for kids etc. The kiddie disco on an evening started at around 8.30 (while we were still eating) and the staff tried to get as many people involved as possible (including us when we were eating - a **** off often offends). Dont expect there to be much in sonnenland its mostly blocks of bungalows with their own restaurants etc very few bars or entertainment outside the complex. Buses etc run to maspalomas and PDI though and they are cheap. THere was a supermarket over the road for basics etc and a bigger one further up the street with cash machines etc.

As I said the families enjoyed it and so did we especially as a cheap AOA holiday. Foods wasnt bad. Careful with the accommodation. It may be described as a 3 t rating but it is based on the entertainment and family facilities - I wouldnt see it as 3 star by any stretch of the imagination. This is from a couple of years ago so things may be better security wise etc. Gran Canaria is such a greeat place I bought over there so it cant be all bad. Have a good time take and take the sun block it is HOTTTTT at the minute.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.