Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Jacky,

The advert is on their Flybe's homepage for Volcano Insurance £6.99. I noticed it the other day when I was looking for flights.

http://www.flybe.com/

Angie.
As long as I get to Calan Bosch in July ain't worried about getting home to be honest

:rofl :rofl
:rofl
My daughter and her family flew to Majorca this morning with Thomson for 1 week she does'nt mind if she gets stuck there....she actually took extras for her son incase they do get stuck...........talk about forward planning :rofl :rofl or should I say wishful thinking!!!!!

Angie
My dear old Mum flew out to Alicante to see an old friend today arrived with no probs

Only the 3rd time she has flown in 74 yrs and was completely cacking herself

:rofl :rofl :rofl
Being stuck is not always a holiday extention. My sister's friends were in mallorca and were told they had to be ready to leave within 20 mins. This lasted for days. Bit like having to quit your hotel room and wait for a 10pm flight...with all your luggage packed...except it went on for days, couldn't have been much fun :yikes
I tend to agree with Huge abba fan, if you have allready booked up and are due to fly soon, i would not worry there are plenty of areoplanes flying over our house to-day, if things change then Thomas Cook will let us know what the procedure is for re-booking,cancelling etc.
For those who are about to or who are thinking of booking a holiday, may i make a sugestion, speak to your T.A. or even your DIY company and find out what happens in the event of a further disruption, for example can you cancel, re-book without any penelties and will they get you home even though the " ash problem " is now a known factor.

Lastley, ignore any advice from know it all Jacky! :duh

Alan :tup
Breaking news on Sky-the CAA anticipates all Scottish and Northern Ireland airports will be closed from 07:00 tomorrow.
its now saying they are concerned that there is the potenial to affect north west and wales airports tommorrow
Guess who booked a flight at 7.30pm for Cardiff to Glasgow for tomorrow morning...grrr
mobile fitter wrote:
I tend to agree with Huge abba fan, if you have allready booked up and are due to fly soon, i would not worry there are plenty of areoplanes flying over our house to-day, if things change then Thomas Cook will let us know what the procedure is for re-booking,cancelling etc.
For those who are about to or who are thinking of booking a holiday, may i make a sugestion, speak to your T.A. or even your DIY company and find out what happens in the event of a further disruption, for example can you cancel, re-book without any penelties and will they get you home even though the " ash problem " is now a known factor.

Lastley, ignore any advice from know it all Jacky! :duh

Alan :tup

I haven't actually given advice, just an opinion...and how come the mods allow you to be sooo rude :que . Different rules for different posters :think
Seeing as Volcanic eruptions affect weather conditions then I should think "adverse weather conditions" in the small print would cover ASH!

Why? We can have adverse weather conditions without any influence from volcanoes and planes can still fly through fog, rain, sleet and snow/ice, with certain safety measures like de-icing the plane and using autopilot, and the CATS system to guide an aircraft to land in fog"¦"¦

Volcanic eruptions send ash clouds into the atmosphere and if it's a big eruption with long periods of ash in high concentrations hanging in the atmosphere, it blocks out the sun and the temperature falls, crops don't grow and we can have unusual amounts of rainfall or even snow, but it's not the cold, low levels of light or the rain that stops the plane from flying, it's the ash cloud itself and the damage it can do to engines.
They are two separate things because whilst one can alter normal weather seasonal patterns by blocking out the sun's rays, weather conditions can be effected without the need of a volcano by such things as wind speed, jet streams, air moisture content, air pressure, mountains, oceans... blah blah blah

Sanji
:offtop
Think I'd better mention that I'm no volcano expert, but I am an amateur collector of gemstones, and you don't just collect a gemstone, you get interested where they come from, their rarity, their composition and how they were formed. etc .
The green gemstone Peridot was formed by volcanic activity in Hawaii and you can find Peridot in Tenerife, again from the volcanic activity on the Canary Islands. Diamonds which are formed from carbon at high temperatures and pressures deep inside volcanoes are brought up from unimaginable depths in the earth's core, to a level where they can be mined"¦. rubies, sapphires and emeralds are usually formed/found in host rocks near volcanoes and the gemstones Tanzanite which is valued more than diamonds because it's only found in one place in the world, at the foot of Mount Kilamanjaro, and when the small mining pockets are exhausted, it's gone.
It's all to do with the heating, cooling and composition of the stuff being ejected from the earth, sediments and rock formations"¦. it's fascinating.

Sanji
ok folks, lets keep this thread for information or queries about the closing of airspace. Let's stop the sniping posts as well.
Today's latest news is Here with a list of airports that are closed
Well I'm sitting in Cardiff airport waiting on a flight to Edinburgh which is still operating - I hope.
Return of ash causes further disruption

Airports in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are currently experiencing disruption.

Due to the changeable nature of the situation, it is important that passengers check the status of their flight with the airline, rather than depend on media reports which may not be wholly accurate or up to date.

Latest available information which I had posted here just a few minutes ago (now removed) is already out of date as further airport closures and flight cancellations were announced.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.