Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Yep. This happened to my daughters boyfriend in Can Pastilla three years ago.

He had 200 Euros stolen.

Avoid like the plague and dont let them come any way physically near you - he still doesnt know how she did it!!!!

Its nice to be "nice" but in this case I wouldnt worry about being nice!!!
In Palma, on one of the main streets near the cathedral (near where the hop on/hop off bus stops), a woman was trying to sell me what looked like a small branch with green leaves (of a hedge), but i just kept a distance, kept walking and kept saying a firm no. While keeping an eye on my bag etc. Plus I probably seen 3-4 of her friends milling around as well. I know it's not carnations, but might have been same idea. And that was only last week.
It's exactly the same idea, steer well clear of this lowlife, they tend to be gippos and you normally get them in the tourist areas, you must NOT let them get close to your personal space, the last time one invaded mine they got a very stern warning to back off, I'd advise anybody else to do the same.
I remember reading that about your Son tootsie, thanks guy's for the warning :tup
Hi everyone,
We had the same problem in Inca market about 4 years ago, a woman put a carnation in my sister and nephews hand, and I knew about these people and panicked and shouted at my sister to give it back, saying that they would rob her purse.

Its very offputting, I think I frightened my sister and she was very on edge the rest of the day. Same thing happened to us in Barcelona by the Familia Sagrada Cathedral and it upsets you and we didnt go near there after because we were scared.

Another thing we always had trouble with were the people from timeshare with the scratchcard, we had to be rude with them in the end as well, they can spoil your holiday if you let them.

We have been going to Corfu the last couple of years and there is nothing like that there, no crime at all, but we are going back to Cala Millor this year, will have to look out for it again.

have been to Ibiza just my sister and I and never felt threatened there once, especially as it was 2 women on our own, must just be Majorca and Mainland Spain.

Shirley
It makes you wonder why they are allowed to get away with it!
Can you imagine house burglars over here geting away with it? Or muggers?
All these Majorcan tourists coming to Britain and their tourist operators warning them about people with stripey jumpers and a bag that says 'swag' on the side? They are robbing people left right and centre, it seems everybody knows about them yet they are still doing it! Surely if the police spot someone with a bunch of carnations maybe it'd make sense to follow them and see what they do? It seems there are thieves right in front of you and the authorities are turning a blind eye! It's disgusting!
Hi Bongo,We were in Cala Millor and Bona last August for a couple of weeks.Thankfully we didn't see any scratch card /carnation sellers.I always feel a nervous around the markets and tourist attractions.I remember the Saturday morning market in Palma with the Find The Lady scams.Very iffy.Kept a tight grip on our valuables. :D
We've been to Majorca 3 times and are going again this year and have to say we've been lucky enough not to come across any of these rogues but it's always good to know about them and be on your guard.
I remember on our first visit to Majorca 24 years ago that flower sellers and beggars where rife especially in Palma. We were well warned about them and gave them a wide berth, but they were very bold and insistent and you just had to be very careful. It made us very nervous. We have been back to Majorca on a number of occasions since and were relieved to find that this had seemingly been stopped. The only 'pest' we came across on recent visits were the scratchcard maggots in Magaluf and Palma Nova and the police seemed to be pouncing on them. I hope they don't allow these beggars and gypsies to get as bad as they were because it really is off putting. The only other time I have felt really uncomfortable was in Barcelona, now they have a very real problem there and it is widespread but nothing seems to get done about it.
I would like people to be careful in bus queues. We were waiting for a bus at Porto Cristo where there was a lot of people queuing. The lady behind me shouted a warning as a man behind me was trying to unzip my bag and I had no idea. When I turned round he disappeared into the crowd, looked just like a tourist.Trouble is, everyone surges forward when the bus arrives so it makes it easier for them. We've been visiting Majorca for 25years and this was the first time I'd come across a pickpocket. :( :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.