EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
........we purchased an apartment last year for the same reasons as you, without an english solicitor; from viewing to completion took just three weeks......Our buying/renting/management all handled under one very capable roof - Tenerife Homes Direct.

As well as others, we looked at two of your choices, Ocean View, and Mare Verde....basically, we thought Ocean View apts, although slightly larger, were far too far out - and up - for us to consider, both for ourselves and for future guests.
Mare Verde, on the other hand, ticked all the right boxes ...so we bought one, as you can see below.......
If there's any honest info wanted about buying, renting, etc, just send a pm; always here to help........
Thanks sunowner,

Gosh, Three weeks is quick, did you have to return to sign.

How do you find renting eg: how many paying weeks have you managed to rent it out for?

Thanks Kara
........we purchased an apartment last year for the same reasons as you, without an english solicitor; from viewing to completion took just three weeks......Our buying/renting/management all handled under one very capable roof - Tenerife Homes Direct

Sunowner,

Are BTHD still operating?

The BTHD estate agent shop in Torviscas is closed, and I know one of their principal agents has set up a new agency called "The Property Point.net".

I checked the BTHD web site, that's still up, but only has 50 properties on it where as it used to have hundreds.
do we need an English solicitor as well as a Spanish one?

You'll only need one. Most Spanish solicitors will speak English.
......Kara, yes, three weeks is very quick - no messing; the piggy bank needs to be emptied mucho pronto !.....and, no, we didn't return for signing; we gave power of attorney - some believe that this is too risky, but then some believe that The Earth Is Flat......
As for renting.....well, I'll just say on here that if you need a steady income to repay a mortgage, you might be struggling.....as you may be by trying to find something suitable in a week.....
.....and - whatever the company was or is called now, and wherever it was or is now, we're still getting excellent service from it...!
Thanks sunowner,

I've been trawling the internet and have stumbled across Dinastia complex in LC, looks perfect. Hope this to be the first we view in November coz i think i love it already, having said that i've fallen in love with a few but when we've viewed found out they haven't got x-factor for one reason or another so i've got to be patient.
Can't wait though its soooo exciting.

If anyone has any views on Dinistia we would love to hear from you.
thanks peter,

don't think i can wait 5 weeks but i'll have to.
whatever the company was or is called now, and wherever it was or is now, we're still getting excellent service from it
Im glad to hear that. :D

Was just a tad worried people may come out to find a shut shop, which it is.
It is against community policy to rent apartments out in Ocean View, Mareverde is having huge problems with the community. Colina Blanca has recently had a complete facelift. Malibu Park is probably the best holiday complex of the lot. We bought an apartment in the Garden City complex with Visaverde C.S. SL and are letting it out 42 weeks a year. :o :o
Thanks Joe90,

We've heard alot about Garden City (all good), may be worth having a look. How did you find Visaverde, we've seen a few properties we like the look of on their website. 42 weeks rental is very good, are these all paying rentals ie: not yourselves or family and friends? What are the community charges like and do you get people re-booking etc. Any info would be greatly recieved.

Thanks Kara & Karl.
Ocean View
Colina Blanca
Malibu Park
Mare Verde

I wouldn't rent any of these complex's. All for various reasons.

But i would without a doubt rent an apt on gardencity.

Just my input for what it is worth.
http://www.visaverde.com are an agents actually based on Garden City, their office is one of the bungalows at the back of the main pool.
In my (humble) opinion you would be better off first deciding what complex you like and have a feel for, then take it from there. Anywhere sounds good just reading an advert and I noticed you started the thread by saying you were looking in Costa Adeje area?
Choose your area then rent a week on a complex you are interested in to see how you feel about it, talk to other holidaymakers etc - every area has something going for it but at the end of the day its what you like thats important
Thanks for all your feedback, it's great to hear other peoples opinions. We liked Costa Adeje, Torviscas area coz we stayed there in August (Panorama) but we viewed in LC aswell and liked it there so we have open minds at the moment.
We are gradually making a short list on what we know and areas we know, we will be spending a week at the end of november viewing and hopefuly will find what we are looking for within our budget.

I fuly agree with vivien that it has to fel right to us as we have got to be able to feel comfortable using it ourselves, it will be our home in the sun.
Good luck, hope you find the place of your dreams, you wont go far wrong wherever you buy in Tenerife. We are like you, love both LC and area around the port in Las Americas so we compromise and rent in PDLA sometimes for a change if we are fully booked in our apartment in LC.
Best of both worlds :D
We try to go out a few time a year to Tenerife. We like to be between PDLA & LC. Lots of things to do. Nice apartments - Parque Santiago and Composello Beach. They may be a bit expensive to purchase on these developments, but I think you would get very good rental. I have also been looking at the new area - Palm Mar, just round the bay from LC. There is a section on this site that the new owners use. Looking at the comments and the photos, this looks like a very nice up and coming area.
Hi Kara

We own on Garden City, bought it almost two years ago.
After visiting Tenerife for over ten years it was the realisation of our dream to buy an apt. We knew the complex and the area very well. Absolutely no regrets "only wish we had done it sooner"
Did a fair bit of research into fees and tax, spent a few sleepless nights doing sums in my head and thinking things over before we took the plunge. Knowing what we know now, next time will be a lot less stressful.
Loads of good info on this site, unfortunately we never discovered it until after we completed!
No worries sharing our experience, take your time to be sure and good luck with your search
  • Edited by Lawson 2009-02-22 13:19:00
Thanks everyone for your advice. We also have looked at Palm Mar but at the moment we have to know that we can rent our property for part of the year. Palm Mar property does look georgeous but its not popular enough yet, i do think in a few years it will be great and i'm sure people buying there now with get a healthy profit.

Lawson, thanks for the info. I've sent you a PM back.
For what it is worth, and i have no intentionof buying in Tenerife as i have no cash.

I would look at maybe buying at garden city.

I think that this is a great complex and in a brilliant location. And i have no doubt that if you bought here you would easily rent it out.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.