UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
west bay dorset
11 Posts
It's a nice little place, though a bit run down. There are 3 or 4 pubs, a couple of restaurants (one v posh), a dozen takeaway food stalls, and a gert big holiday camp at one end.

The beach is narrow & pebbly, and not too safe for swimming. There are lovely walks up the cliff paths to either side. You can rent a rowing boat & go upriver almost as far as Bridport - a lovely market town.

The harbour is quaint & there are the usual boat & fishing trips.

Good place for an afternoon, but you might run out of things to do if you were there longer.

- Tony -
if you run out of things to do you could try going further up the coast to charnmouth and go fossil hunting....there are still plenty of fossils to be found here...we've found loads.....watch out though cause there was a massive landslide here a few weeks ago.

west bay was the setting a few years back for the BBC1 drama " harbour lights" starring nick berry.
Not a good idea to send holidaymakers fossil hunting on that part of the coast. We get too many stuck in the mud as it is.
If you stay in West Bay make sure the parking space is thrown in. In fact that goes for most of South Dorset, especially Weymouth. Within an easy drive of West Bay is Lyme Regis, to the West and Weymouth to the East, with Bridport and Dorchester also close to hand. A little bit further South ! is Portland with its Bill. It will also be the scene of the 2012 Olympics so for amusement you can try and figure out how everyone will get there.
Hi all - anyone been to West Bay in Dorset. Looks nice - close to the sea, in the village etc. We hope to go with small children in July, and have previously done centerpars and haven (not too impressed with haven I must say, althought the kids adored it!)

I particularly would like to know about the caravans inside as the brochure is a bit vague on this. Many thanks, Lucy.
Thanks all, for your views. It was actually the parkdean park at west bay that we are interested in. having small children, I'm afraid our holiday horizons are a bit limited. The old adage of 'if the kids are happy, we're happy' is definetley true. We went to the south of france last year, to have more of a holiday that we adults would like, and it was an unmitigated disaster! So, it's holiday camps and fish and chips on the prom for us for a couple of years, and why not?!

Anyone have any views on the Parkdean site? Is it okay or will I be tearing my hair out at the chip wrappers and over-loud entertainment crew? (blimey, the female compere at Haven Burnham was so screechy and loud we used to cover our ears at easter!)

Thanks all :D
I live only 40 minutes from west bay. I would recommend you try Weymouth as the beach is a lot safer for young children. Alternatively, if it's not too far to go for you, Paington in Devon is great for kids.
I would recommend you try Weymouth

I agree, samr. Weymouth is much more family-friendly. It has many attractions and close to Dorchester, which is a marvellous town, too.
Has any one been to this holiday park?

How far it it to the nearest town?

And is it hilly?

My mum has walking dificulties so we are looking somewhere near the sea and near a town that isnt to hilly.
Would be grateful for any recommendations.

Merged with existing topic
David HT Mod
This holiday park is right in the town so you shouldn't have too many problems with hills etc. West Bay is lovely and as we're lucky enough to live in Dorset we visit it quite regularly. The sea is no more than a 5 minute walk from the park entrance. West Bay is quite small but Bridport is near by, about a 5 min drive where there are a bigger selection of shops.
my brother lives in the near town called bridport ,they is many nice place to vist in and around west bay and the dorset coast line ?if you have any question just ask ? i go back down to dorset evrey year to see the familey
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.