UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Weymouth
9 Posts
Hi Laura, probably not the most helpful response, but we went to Weymouth for years when we were younger and had some fantastic holidays. :D

The beach is great, although be warned that when the tide goes out, it goes out!! Get ready for a 10 minute walk!

Try this link for more info: http://www.weymouth.gov.uk/Visitors/home.asp?svid=17

Hope you have a great time.
Louise
I am somewhat biased as I have lived here all my life and have seen Weymouth deteriorate.
Had a quick look at the guest house website and they have car parking which is now very important in Weymouth.
You are not far from the beach probably about 100m, and depending on the weather you can walk right along to the sands or left back up to Greenhill. However don't leave valuables on the beach whilst you are in the water.
Bring plenty of cash for car parking but remember not to leave anything that looks valuable in view!
Natural sites: Portland Bill, Chesil Beach, Abbotsbury Hill, Cerne Giant, Maiden Castle.
There is Abbotsbury Swannery, The great Maize maze if it is still standing, Tank Museum at Bovington, Monkey World.
The Weymouth live music scene is still vibrant. Many of the local pubs have bands on during the evenings, which cover for most tastes from 60s covers to heavy heavy metal. We do have a couple of night clubs and even a lap dancing club.
There are amusement arcades along the front. If you fancy a long evening stroll you can walk past Greenhill along the Preston Beach Wall and along the beach to Bowleaze Cove where there is an amusement complex, go karts (and a pub) etc. Probably about 3 miles there and back (maybe 4).

The Dorchester County Show is on one weekend in early September which may make a pleasant change for a saturday or sunday..

The town is at the other end of the Esplanade, not worth driving as you are probably parked as close at you can get!
At the far end of the beach is the Pavilion which may have a suitable show on for a night's entertainment.

What sort of stuff interests you?
How did it go then Laura?
Your honest opinions may be of use to future travellers.
Weymouth was such a nice place to visit and stay, all that fresh sea air cleared my head (as soon as I started coming inland my headaches came on again :D ). Hope to come back sometime.

The Molyneux was a nice place to stay (shame they did not open the Bar), but we managed to find plenty of places to eat and drink.

Best Wishes
Laura
Thanks for the update. I think that was why George III liked the place.
However, as a local I can confirm that my headaches also start as soon as I try to leave.
My problem is caused by congestion ... our local traffic management is so good it can create a stop start queue out of 2 vehicles, and they don't have to be going in the same direction.

There is no shortage of local watering holes and most of them put on fine live entertainment too so I hope you found some of the best.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday though as I thought the weather was a bit off this summer.
looking for b & b near seafront or close to town center, reasonable price for end of march any help will be great. :wave:
I am jealous, Weymouth is my all time favourite British resort.

However any knowledge have is likely to be very out of date so all I can say is enjoy yourself and when you get back let us all know how you got on.
Currently in Chaos due to the appearance of strange white substance. Earlier today they had managed to close all roads out of town, not much to do with road conditions, more to do with driving ability and health and safety.

Vibe Girl stayed at the Molyneux which is about 100 meters from the seafront and has its own parking. There is a website.

There are quite a few hotels and B&Bs along the front or just back from the Esplanade, however make sure that if you are coming by car that there is somewhere to park included.
Our free on street parking is mostly limited to one hour or permit holders. The rest is expensive even out of season, we even now charge the disabled in car parks. I recently had to visit the sea life centre at lodmoor and the (council run) car park charges there were £1.10 for the first hour and rising by a pound for EACH following hour. I assume the 10p is so that the "no change" machines can make that little bit extra. I think that is our "cheap" car park, but I prefer to park out and walk in or keep well away so I am not sure of town centre pricing.
If you feel like visiting the Sea life centre look for 2 for 1 tickets around town as the couple in front of us were charged nigh on £32 to get in. The couple in front of them saw the prices and walked back out.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.