Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Whilst you are in Mumbai Fiona, make sure you go to Crawford Market, and Leopold's for a drink and a meal, and if you have time the trip to Elphanta Island is brilliant, I have been to the Island 3 times now, and I would still do it again, it is fascinating, I still look in amazement at how the caves have been carved, and if you have the strength, when you reach the top of the Island it still amazes me, how they got that artillary gun up there.

The Regency is a nice hotel, expensive by Goa standards but well worth it.
we have decided that as we don't have a long holiday - 11 days- we are going to spend the time in Goa. I spent ages researching hotels in Mumbai as well! We have had been to Leopolds- we had lunch there and ate so much we didn't manage to go out for dinner that night. :D Fab food.
I had put down the market as a must do this time. Never mind- will get there some day. I need to retire and then I can please myself when and for how long I can go :)
Reality Tours and Travel - google as I don't know if I can put up the website - do a brilliant tour of Dharavi Slums which is not going to be what you imagine - lots of photos on their site and they are a charity.
Chor Bazaar (or thieves market as it is known) is far better than Crawford Market and about 10k from India Gate.
There is a great food stall behind the Taj Hotel at India Gate that is open late at night and you might be lucky to see Bollywood Stars eating there. It sells kebabs etc and is always busy - forgot the name but not hard to find.
We stayed at the Residency and really enjoyed it - great location. Try to get in the "annexe" - these are some rooms separate to (but next to) the main hotel building. They were really nice.

Agree with Elephanta Island if you've time. Fascinating trip.

There was a shop across the road (it was there 3 years ago anyway )that made Grace Brothers look like a hi-tec store. Definitely worth a 10 minute browse.

There are some taxis close to the hotel and it's far cheaper to ask one of those to whisk you around the sites than take a planned tour...although some are reluctant to do so - presumably the Mumbai mafia have tours buttoned up.

There's also a really scruffy veg restaurant on the small, mainly pedestrian road along the back of the hotel that was superb. Great people, superb food and soooo cheap!

Enjoy! :cheers
thanks both- but we decided to just spend more time in Goa. Just doing an overnight in Mumbai this next time. But I think the Residency is one we will stay in when we do have time to spend in Mumbai. It will happen some time!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.