Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
try out ilios studios stalis .

Stalis is near to malia but nothing like malia.its quiet with frendly people.

ilios studios i am staying 5 times and i will go this year again,George the son of the owner its very good guy and try to help you all the time with anything you ask him.he has 3 person rooms but its not all inclusive.

contact with him if you want peacefull holidays.

ilios has also a site on internet.
Stalis is very like Malia....in fact its hard to see where one stops and another starts....if you dont want Malia then dont stay in Stalis, dreadful place, full of English Pubs, themed bars, and no Greek Charm at all....you could be staying anywhere...

Have a look at places like Sissi, Elounda or Agios Nikoloas all have a Greek feel about them and Greeks actually live in these places....Stalis is a purpose built tourist resort.
Certainly avoid Stalis/Malia area. It's got little to do with Crete! In fact try to get the the far more rewarding west of the island. It wins on every count (not a brit bar in sight!).
Hi Helsy,

I'll second that Stalis is not like Malia! yes, one runs into the other but Malia is busy, busy, busy mostly with the 18-30 crowd. Granted that Stalis has Brit bars but it depends what you want really. We had a lovely holiday there a few years back. However, if something quieter is more up your street, take a look at Elounda. It's on our short list for next year, having spent a little time there one afternoon after disembarking from a boat at the harbour.

Ag Nik is very pretty but I think it's one of the more expensive resorts in the area. I don't doubt Richard's recommendation that Western Crete is even more beautiful and traditional but you'll be limited with the amount of UK airports that service that part of Crete- if you live in or around London, you'll probably be OK.

Good luck with your hunt and please come back and let us know what you decide :tup
Yes Richard Chania area is beautiful, but please dont judge the whole of the north east coast on resorts like like Malia, Stallis and Hersonissos...it doesnt mean that the rest of area is like that.....the north east coast is beautiful and once you get past Malia the countryside does start to change.

Problem is so many people never make it past there!!!, the road from Aghios to Sitia is amazing......and there are some beautiful villages in this area too. Infact having travelled over much of Crete over many years, I actually prefer the North East side of the island. Chania area although very pretty, has a few too many ex pats there for me... :-)

Just a point Shirley about Aghios; as a working Greek town it isnt very expensive ( I expect you mean around the lake area) I dont think that the Greeks who live there all year round would do so if it was!!!
Just a point Shirley about Aghios; as a working Greek town it isnt very expensive ( I expect you mean around the lake area) I dont think that the Greeks who live there all year round would do so if it was!!!

Yes I meant the tourist areas, which is where the majority of holidaymakers spend their time. If they were to be more adventurous and venture out to the areas where the locals live they will find prices a lot lower- the same as any resort. I was in fact comparing the tourist area of AG Nik with the tourist areas of other Greek resorts. I only suggested that it was more expensive rather than stated it as fact. I'm going by what I've been told by holidaymakers that have been there :tup
when I said the lake area I actually meant the tavernas and bars that are located around the lake ( about 10 or so) this is the area that many people who visit Aghios for the day are naturally drawn to.. However, there are apartments and hotels located around the whole of the town, so therefore there isnt really a specific tourist area - apart from the lake :-) so no I still dont think that Aghios is expensive, infact Elounda is probably more expensive as its 5 star hotels does tend to attract lots of rich Russians!!!!!! and its more geared up to tourists than Aghios.
Dear IloveCrete,
I agree there are some notable areas in the east of the island. I started visiting that part in the mid 70's and have been back several times since to visit friends near Elounda and also Ierapetra on the south east coast. I particularly like the Lasithi plateau. However there are just not so many rich experiences to be found on that side of the island. The White Mountains and Samaria Gorge never cease to captivate me. I love the wild west coast, the beaches of Falasarna and Elafonissi, the smell of history and excitement in Chania. I don't relate to the point about Ex pats because once west of Chania you seldom see a Brit...mostly Athenians and Scandinavians. Yes there are some Brit settlements east of Chania in Kalives etc and you'll find British tourists on the south coast but otherwise the culture is pretty untainted these days. One of the problems in the East is the need to travel such long distances to reach the good sites.
It's a great island altogether and it depends what you want from a holiday. I now have a young daughter so I have to have a good mix available but i don't want her exposed to the drunken gangs I've seen fighting and being ill in the streets of spots like Malia and even Ag. Nik. I do want her to soak up the delights of Cretan culture and cuisine however. She's 10 and loves it. Each to his/her own eh?
Elounda is good,our 3rd visit next week, nice tavernas, good for couples and families
Just spent two weeks in three different areas. we re-visited Myrtos (the first time EVER) we have been to the same place twice in Greece in 27+ years) It's a lovely spot but it is quiet normally so probably more so at the end of the season. We then went to Almyrida which was quite busy by our standards but equally charming with lovely people and great food. there is an English Pub!! if you want that but sufficient "Greekness" in the area and close enough to Hania if you have never been.
We stayed last of all in Bali. There are four bays and we stayed at the furthest point on Evita bay. two sets of accomodation and two great restaurants/tavernas. Very hilly to walk between the different beaches but again a great relaxing place. Enjoy
We then went to Almyrida which was quite busy by our standards but equally charming with lovely people and great food. there is an English Pub!!

Good Heavens! :really The area has clearly changed since I last visited - I assume that Kalives has changed too then? It always was bigger and busier than Almyrida so can't begin to imagine what it's like now.

SM
Dear SMa,
That area east of Chania is very British and these days has little of the charm it had some years ago. Many Brits have bought properties there. Better to head further west.
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the replies, sorry not posted any earlier but had problems with pc. Well I've booked for 2 weeks departing last week in September, and I know you all said go to the west of the island but flights to Chania that late in the year from the north of england are virtually nil. I know you'll all probably think I'm mad but have decided on Hersonissos, on the basis that as its nearing the end of the season it won't be too mad (as a frequent visitor to Albufeira I know the "mad" resorts quieten down a lot out of season) and we don't want anything too quiet. We will only be using Hersonissos as a base as we like to jump on the local buses and travel around and after speaking to an 86 year old lady (whos very young at heart)and who goes there every year with family told us the buses around the island are superb.
So once again thanks for all your posts and please don't all jump at me for going to Hersonissos. I'll let you know how things went when I get back.
Helsy, glad you've got yourself sorted. You go and enjoy yourself, you've done your research and know what you want- we're here to help, not to judge. Look forward to hearing how it went on your return :)
Hi there

In your OP you said "not malia"...why have you booked Hersonissos!!!! its just like Malia ............. Malia is for the young British yobs...Stallis is for the old British Yobs....and Hersonissos is for the Irish and Dutch Yobs!!!!!............... your only saving grace is that you say you are going to be using this for a "base only".... it may be better at the end of the season....or worse.....as it will start to become a ghost town as the end of the season as no one actually lives in Hersonissos!!!!!!!!!!.................... check your reservations and fingers crossed that they are for Piskopiano which is a lovely village on the outskirts of Hersonissos
Malia is for the young British yobs...Stallis is for the old British Yobs....and Hersonissos is for the Irish and Dutch Yobs!!!!!............... your only saving grace is that you say you are going to be using this for a "base only"....

Your opinion only!! I loved Stalis and take offence to being called an old British yob- Now I could get as nasty as you but where would that get us :que

I don't understand why people have to slate members. The holiday's been booked, what's the point of painting a pessimistic picture?
I'm with you Shirley

there are enough tavernas [walk into the old part of town,] for us oldies who like the quieter side, daytime there are plenty of beach based activities [yes it may be busy] and what many people miss is the Cretan open air museum and the many trips available to both archaeological sites and the countryside [traditional villages] and other coastal areas.

where you stay [that's a personal/financial decision] but Crete has much to offer [lets face it many people only sleep at the hotel] walk the Samaria gorge national park,visit Sitia and the monasterytake a day trip to either West Crete ,[Chania,Rethymnon,Arkadia,]Go East to [Elounda, Agia Nikolaos, palm beach] stay local [and see Knossos, at Irakilon] or do the central island and south coast tour [a long day] and see Crete how it was [before the holiday industry spoilt the north coast] and many other thing to see and do [too many to list]

wizard
I'm pretty sure that Hersonissos, Malia or Stalis wouldn't be for me - not because I' ve ever been to any of them but because of the information that is available on this forum in general and this thread in particular. Helsy has presumably read the same information and has decided that Hersonissos is for her and I think that should be respected, ilovecrete, no matter what her reasons or your own views are.

Like Richard1 I am a fan of the western end of Crete - when there wasn't an English pub in Almyrida when I used to use the beach while staying in Megala Chorafia and very few ex-pats - but I understand why many people would decide that a lot of the villages at that end of the island would be too quiet for them. Crete clearly has many faces and the real value of a forum like this is to provide us with the factual information so that we can choose the destination that is right for us. Opinions on their own aren't much use - my idea of what makes a holiday wonderful could be very different to yours so let's stick to facts and leave people to make up their own minds without us berating them for making the 'wrong' choice.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.