Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
James1993,

I would take a small amount of lire for when you get there and the rest in sterling. You can then either pay for things in sterling or change it to lira in resort where you'll like get a better exchange rate than here.

Darren
james1993 wrote:
Hi
I last visited turkey in 2010 and changed my sterling to turkish lira as i thought I should. But I found lots of things ie trips and meals out were priced in sterling or euros.I got the impression the turkish preferred other currencies? Have booked to go to icmeler in may any advice what to take?
Many thanks

HI James, yes, I agree with Daz, take maybe £50 worth of Lira to get you through the first few hours (especially if you are arriving at night) and take the rest in Sterling.

I went to Icmeler last year (and returning this year) and they do like Sterling especially in the markets and excursion shops - they also like Euros.

You will get better exchange rate as Daz also said. We were getting 2.85TL to the pound last year in the town center but the hotel we were at were only giving 2.70 TL to the pound so worth shopping around especially if changing large amounts. We sometimes went for the 2.7 in hotel as it was a fair trek to Icmeler town center.

Seems to have dropped a bit this year so I reckon at current rates you're maybe looking at 2.68 ish at the moment (I'm sure someone will correct me lol)

Where are you staying (and when)
Hotel Aqua going 15 May. Can't wait it gets brill reviews. My partner has never been to Turkey before sure he will love it.
Thanks for advice will do as suggested and take mainly sterling
Enjoy your holiday James and please let us know all about it on your return :tup
The small supermarkets are the best places to change sterling in Icmeler.
We use the one under the ICR offices in the square and one called Best supermarket which is on the left hand side of the road leading to the village.
DONT whatever you do use the change offices as there were reports of short changing,they also charge commission.
I usually have some TL left over from a previous holiday but I would just change your sterling there as some shops take sterling.
The Aqua is a lovely hotel and that was the first place we stayed in Icmeler in 1992!
I prefer SC and B&B now as the food in the restaurants is gorgeous.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.