Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Michelleward. We love the Greek islands but there are very many we have yet to visit. Unlike yourselves though, we don't go for 5 star luxury but we prefer sc or B&B so I won't be able to recommend a hotel for you. Based on your idea of winding streets and tavernas and restaurants I can suggest Lindos. Although I haven't been there it sounds lovely and the beach is a walk down the hill from most of the hotels.

I suppose your starting point would be to shortlist the island (based on where your choice of airport service)and then go from there.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I was looking at Rhodes but we thought Crete would be more suitable. We are looking for white sandy beaches. Would we find these in lindos? Can you get to Athens from lindos? Is lindos a traditional Greek village and picturesque scenery? Thanx x
Hi, I also wanted to ask. Is lindos or any other place you recommend the type of place you go all inclusive/half board or is there plenty of places to eat out? I would like lots of restaurants to choose from. What are prices like? Thanks x
If we're talking about powder white beaches, then you'd be more likely to find those in the Caribbean than Greece. One of the best parts of holidaying in Greece is eating out at the traditional tavernas,which is why we always go SC or B & B. For stunning scenery, Santorini would be up there with the best of the Islands. There are a few members on here who travel to the lesser known islands, and I'm sure they'll be along with advice soon. We went to Kalamaki on Zakynthos last year and found prices to be on par with this country.
Hi again,

I agree with Santorini having scenery that's out of this world (best scenery I've seen anyway lol) but the beaches are black due to the volcanic ash so completely the opposite type of beach that you're looking for. Off hand I can't think of white beaches in Greece as it's not one of my priorities when holidaying there but there are some lovely Greek beaches to be had. Speaking personally I would never go AI in Greece as you would miss out on so many of the lovely Greek tavernas and restaurants dotted around and yes there will be ample choice in most places unless you go completely off the beaten track.

If you fancy Crete, why not click on 'resort reports' at the top of the index page here, select Crete (should have its own section, if not select Greece) and browse through members' reports of the various resorts to get a feel for what they offer.

Enjoy your research and don't forget to pop in now and then for more advice :tup
Hi, thankyou very much for your advice. Ok, forget the beach. I would like lots of restaurants, traditional charm, lots of sightseeing and history. I want to stay in a nice traditional Hotel with charm. Don't want to be totally secluded from everything so we would like to be walking distance from resort. I've looked at santorini and this does look lovely but is there history and medieval buildings? I just want to know I'm in Greece wherever we stay with the winding villages and history. I have checked the resort reports but I don't think it's giving me the answers I want because I'm being too specific!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle x
There are 15 villages in santorini, from high tourism areas to undiscovered off the beaten track areas that have amazing architect with mansions and traditional buildings. There are lots of historic events to find out about including the volcanic eruption that forged the entire look of the island and was felt far afield. There are many different type of places to say but you definitly need to get out and about and eat at all the different places on offer. Do your research to ensure you stay in an area that you are comfortable in, but as an island I thing you will have plenty of history to get out and about to enjoy and plenty of bars and restarurants. Don't expect top notch in any Greece island as it doesn't happen if you want history and exploring. As others have said somewhere like Barbados or similar island is the place for grand hotels beaches and POSH nightlife.(can reccomend Barbados personally)
If you choose crete then do your research for resort , we stayed in Hersonissos and i didn'r spend any time on the beach at all as they were very narrow and rocky in parts .
There are some fine white sand beaches in Greece but not many. Do you want a mainstream island with an international airport or are you happy to use the excellent ferry network. We like Molyvos on Lesvos but like many on this site prefer s/c or b&b. There are some nice hotels here and in nearby Petra but not 5*.
I want to stay in a nice traditional Hotel with charm.

Not sure you'd get a traditional Greek hotel with the Gym and Spa as you were enquiring about in your original post. I think you'd have to compromise on one or the other.
your specific request would appear to rule out Greece, a traditional hotel village with winding streets would put you in a 2 star on one of the smaller islands a gym and spar would not even fit the equation,

so nice hotel outside a village with gym i could recommend the Aegean village on Kos, But it is only a grade A apart hotel [of very good quality] 1.5km from Kahdamena [the party capital] which has some nice tavernas, and the island has lots of history,

Aegean village reviews

kos history and some archaeological sites

yasus
wizard
Hi, thank you all so much for your advice.

I think I have wrote the wrong thing! When I say a traditional hotel, I don't mean a lillte building in a village. I want a boutique style hotel that's got charm rather than the massive butlins style hotels that you see. We want to be on a hill/cliff Overlooking the sea with great scenery. We don't want to be totally secluded though.

We like to go on walks, bikes, day trips and sightseeing history. I don't mind being slightly away from it all. We want to be walking distance from lots of restaurants and tavernas. Don't want to be in an 18/30 resort but dont want it to be a ghost town either. It would be nice if it was a little lively but with a traditional Greek feel to it rather than karaoke!

There must be somewhere for me!!

I've been looking at Rhodes, Corfu, halkidiki and santorini. What are your thoughts please?

Thanks xx
You should try Naxos or Paros, both very beautiful islands
Michelle,
dont rule out the mainland. We have spent time on around 30 islands but places like the Pelion, Peloponesse and Epirus (Parga) all have something to suit you.
You mentioned Crete earlier. There is an amazing beach in the south, but it's pink. Look up Elefonissi. We only visited the beach for a day, didn't stay locally, but wished we were nearer. The clarity of the shallow water and the pink sand were truly stunning. It does get very busy though.

Can't find any pics at the moment, OH has put them away "safe" :que
We also stayed in Parga. The area has everything you ask for I believe, but the beaches are yellow. Loads of sandy beaches if you have transport. We went early in the season and often had miles of sandy beach to ourselves. Might be worth some research into hotels. We will be going back, and we don't often return in case it is not as good as we remember. :)
I would agree with the idea of Molyvos on Lesvos mentioned earlier - very narrow, winding streets, boutique hotels, an old town and nearby beaches at Anaxos and Petra (which is also old and winding!). Lots of restaurants/tavernas in all three and a great island to explore. Great traditional thermal spas in the countryside - but a car is needed for all but the nearest to Molyvos to which there is a bus service.

Cheers,
Ralph
We sailed from Limassol in Cyprus last August to Kastelorizo island which is absolutely gorgeous and we would most certainly want to go back there for a couple of days. It's only a couple of km's off Turkey (near to Kas).
Photos here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvMGkT6

Later that afternoon we set sail to the island of Rhodes arriving in the early evening. Here are some photos from our overnight stay and the following day in Rhodes.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwW7Jr9

Greek islands are all very different so you may not find boutique hotels with what you want from the island. Personally, I think it is better to gen up on as many of the islands as possible and make your choice on what the destination has to offer rather than the hotel.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Greek islands are all very different so you may not find boutique hotels with what you want from the island. Personally, I think it is better to gen up on as many of the islands as possible and make your choice on what the destination has to offer rather than the hotel.

Shell, that's an excellent bit of advice :tup
I have been to about 14 Greek islands over the years. My favorite is Naxos, it has very good beaches and the town has plenty of tavernas.
You ought to go B&B and eat on the beach side tavernas or walk a few yards into town.
We stayed at this hotel http://www.nissaki-beach.com/ It was very good, not 5 star, but 4 star. We booked through Sunvil, they were excellent.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.