EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Which Law?
13 Posts
here's a fairly easy one..if you moove to an EEC country you retain your nationality and are entitled to the same consideration as the local population if you move out of this area you usualy retain your nationality but will need resident/work permits there are a few variations

brian
The law of the land that you are in will apply. So for instance if its illegal to drink under age 21 and you are 18 and drinking you could be arrested in that country. :(
If I moved to somewhere like lets say Cyprus (or anywhere else on the planet)

Would I still be British? Would I have to become a Cypriot? and which laws apply?

No you could still hold a british passport and take up residency as well and get an ID card of that country.

Suppose I was 18 (and I'm nearly double that now) would I be allowed to drink if the country (say america) has an older drinking age?

If the law in that country said you cannot drink untill you are 18 then you cannot drink until you reach that age.

If I was legally allowed to install plumbing/wiring/telephones etc in this country would I be allowed to in another? Or would I have to sit the complete lot of college courses etc? (someone like a builder in this country can legally do many things and not need any qualifications, would this make him a builder elsewhere or would he have to sit exams etc?)

You could continue just the same as though were in the UK.

If I'm allowed to drive in this country would I be automatically allowed to drive elsewhere or if I move permenantly would I have to take a new test?

Yes you could and you would not need to take andther test.

Do british pension schemes transfer? (does the government part of it transfer?)

You can have your UK pension paid into any bank in the country you live or leave it in a UK bank.

Would you need to start a whole new lot of bank accounts or could you still your british ones if you had moved from britain permenantly (and what affect on taxes would this have?)

You don't have to if you dont want to and you would come under UK tax law provided you had no income from the new country where you live. If you wanted to buy property in another country it would be adviseable to open an account in that country to allow the trensfer of money etc quickly.

Any other questions.

If I was legally allowed to install plumbing/wiring/telephones etc in this country would I be allowed to in another? Or would I have to sit the complete lot of college courses etc? (someone like a builder in this country can legally do many things and not need any qualifications, would this make him a builder elsewhere or would he have to sit exams etc?)

You could continue just the same as though were in the UK.]

Not sure you are correct on that one. Might not be that straight forward.

It's not. In Spain at least, you will need to sit a conversion course if you hold a recognised UK qualification or start from scratch if you dont.

You will need to be fluent in Spanish to do either.
It's not. In Spain at least, you will need to sit a conversion course if you hold a recognised UK qualification or start from scratch if you dont.

You will need to be fluent in Spanish to do either.

So what if you go out there and start your own business who is to know you have the Spanish qualifications.
Well, again in Spain at least, if you want to start your own business, you will then have to file papers, get an epigraph for tax purposes etc etc. which will show what your trade is!
The question was.......

"If I was legally allowed to install plumbing/wiring/telephones etc in this country would I be (legally) allowed to in another?"

The answer is not. Anyone can break the law any time if they choose to.
So what if you go out there and start your own business who is to know you have the Spanish qualifications.

If you're doing anything to do with plumbing or electrics in Spain, you need a "boletin" from a qualified plumber or sparky for the waterboard or electricity company to supply you.

Some English here work a few months with a qualified Spaniard until they've proved to him they know what they're about, after which the Spaniard will sign off a boletin for him when he needs one for a small consideration. Others find an uninterested alcoholic qualified Spaniard and get him to sign off a boletin for a large consideration when one is needed.
So if you find a nice sparky who is well oiled, you could get him to sign the paper to say you are qualified to work in Spain even if your previous trade was a milkman ?
If he's hard enough up for the vino, I don't doubt it has happened. :lol:
The question was.......

"If I was legally allowed to install plumbing/wiring/telephones etc in this country would I be (legally) allowed to in another?"

The answer is not. Anyone can break the law any time if they choose to.

I don't think anyone is legally qualified in Turkey judging by the workmanship here!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.