Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Hmmm, although Lanzarote is my favourite island..Puerto Mogan is my favourite place in the whole of the Canary islands and i wouldn't say there is anywhere quite like it. I suppose you could say the Playa Blanca may be the nearest. Definitely not CT or PDC.

Puerto Mogan has that cosmopolitan feel and is generally quiet and tranquil without the usual rowdy bars etc that can be found in such places as Purto Rico in GC, Playa De las Americas in Tenerife or Puerto Del Carmen in Lanza. Lanza is a very different island to Gran Can, much more barren and of course alot smaller.
Costa teguise can be quite quiet depending on what time of year you go but I would say Playa Blanca is quieter still but without that "feel" that Puerto Mogan has.
Thanks Justval,
I agree that Puerto Mogan will be very hard to beat as I love it, but we'd like to see another island & I'm sure Lanzarote will be very different. Looking forward to the contrast.
Sounds like it will be Playa Blanca! :tup
Never having been to Puerto Mogan, would Puerto Calero in Lanzarote fit the bill, val?
I must confess that is the one place I have never really explored. If it is quiet ( is it at the other end of Playa Blanca?) then it would fit the bill. Mogan is busy but relaxed during the day..it ihas many bars/restaurants set around the harbour and on a Friday it has a market that is really busy. The whole place grinds to a halt at siesta time except for tourists.but even then most of them are heading away back to where they came from. After 5pm, it is really quiet and so so lovely. it is called Little Venice as there are loads of little streams/rivers that run in from the sea through the town..delightful.

Generally, we stay in CT in Lanza and hire a car and explore everywhere else. We tend to like the quieter places and just love going off the beaten track to see what we find. CT is just about right for us..

Lanza is an experience in itself and I am sure you will enjoy it toastedmallow.
Ah, thanks val. Then I don't think Puerto Calero will fit the bill!!!
Thanks Val,
But from your 2nd post I'm wondering if CT wouldn't be a better option if that's your usual choice as you seem to know both resorts quite well?
I like it to be quietish but not completely so. I like there to be a good choice of restaurants & shops to amble about. I'm just not keen on discos, clubs etc.
We will be hiring a car & intend to explore the island. I'm sure it'll be great!
Playa Blanca has the new Marina Rubicon, which is a very nice place to walk around. It also has the pedestrianised shopping street, and the town beach. Lots of nice restaurants too. A lot of the villas are a way out of town which I would say need a taxi to get home to after a lovely walk into town!

Val, Puerto Calero is nearer to Puerto del Carmen, perhaps you are mixing it up with Marina Rubicon? Puerto Calero is a "resort" on its own. A couple of big hotels, a lot of nice residential, a very nice marina lined with shops and restaurants, but very quiet.
ahh yes..now I recall...

CT is ideal for us. there are plenty of pubs/places to eat etc but also for the more adventurous and lively of the species, there are plenty of clubs/disco's etc. There are bars that stay open until the early hours.
CT is nice to wander around in at anytime..but I would say that Playa Blanca is quieter than CT. I would definitely recommend hiring a car..and just explore explore explore..there are so many great places to go to. I think I posted in another section for Chivas about that.
OK thanks. I'm going to investigate apartments and that may be the decider as both resorts sound good. :sun2
Just thought of soemthign else. People I've been talking to say Lanzarote is windy, but that it's not a problem. I thought Fuerteventura was the windy one & popular with wind surfers.
Would it be more/ less windy in either of these resorts?
Thanks!!
Just thought of soemthign else. People I've been talking to say Lanzarote is windy, but that it's not a problem. I thought Fuerteventura was the windy one & popular with wind surfers.
Would it be more/ less windy in either of these resorts?
Thanks!!
Lanzarote can be windy..Teguise means wind I think..but the best places for the wind in lanza are on the other side of the island at such resorts as La Santa and el Famara..both famous for the spectacular watersports to be enjoyed there. The wind in Teguise is not so bad it will wreck your holiday ( well except one time for us when Lanza had its first tropical storm in 14 years and the whole island ground to a halt!)

I can't speak for Fuerteventura as I have never been but it is the nearest island to Lanza and i am told that the winds are pretty good for surfing etc on one side of the island.

I think you will have a great holiday if you choose Lanzarote..but I guess a holiday is what you make it anyway and each person looks for different things out of a holiday. i think Lanza has something to suit everyone..but that is just my humble opinion. ;)
Costa Teguise is very windy in comparison to Playa Blanca, as the trade winds tend to hit CT before anywhere else. If you are on a windsurfing holiday for example, you wouldn't choose PDC or PB. I don't think Teguise means wind Val, it's just become known as windy :)
If I was going on a windsurfing holiday i would choose La santa or El Famara..we usually choose CT because we like it and it is a good base to explore the rest of the island from. I don't like PDC as it is far too busy for me. I have visted PB and it is nice to have a wander around...but I feel it is quieter than CT.

it is abit like the bears with the porridge..one to loud, one too quiet and another just right! :rofl

in all seriousness, Lanza is a beautiful island and i have loved every minute of all my visits there ( even when the tropical storm hit!) and i would recommend a visit to anyone who has never been there and wants to start exploring the Canary Islands.
Just to let you know we've opted for an apartment in Playa Blanca.
Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated! :tup
we loved playa blanca. You won't be disappointed. Have been to all the canary islands and this is my favourite - Trish
Playa Blanca will be fine for you. We always visit it when we are over there..I am sure you will have a wonderful time..but don't forget to do some exploring too!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.