Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Obviously nobody wants to give away the secrets of the south
South for me every time.Simply, it's alot quieter and more chilled out and you don't get the hassle you get up north.

jc
Ok I'll start.....

I've been to Goa 5 times in the last 4 years and spent equal time in the North and South.

South Goa as you have probably guessed is a LOT quieter than the North.

I didn't like any of the 'resort' areas - Colva, Cavalossim and all the secluded 'mega' hotels which you can't spot until you are very close. Great part of Goa to rent a bungalow.

I stayed at Benaulim and loved it. There is so much beach to walk or cycle along, if that's your thing you will love it. Also loads of country tracks to explore rural life, nice and flat to cycle and if you go before 11.30am not too hot.

I found everything to be a bit cheaper apart from Taxis. Food definately.

If you are looking for action, you won't find it in the South. Relaxation yes!

Nothing like the Aguada - Baga 'strip' feel, more like a longer version of Morjim and further North.

The South attracts those who want a bit of piece and quiet although Colva was like a minature Calangute to me (Lager, Curry and Chips).

I think you would have to do your research on where you are staying if you want to stay for any length of time as you may want to move around.

I've heard people say there wasn't much to do, but then again if you want to chill out and relax ideal.

My love affair with parts of North Goa (Aguada to Baga) has finally gone unfortunately, maybe I will return to the South but not next year.

If you have any specific queries I can reply.
Before we booked Goa for the first time we asked people that had already been and read HT and the general opinon was that the South is definitely quieter which is what we wanted. We have been twice now to Arossim beach and it is heaven, really quiet. They only have two shacks on the beach near to where we stay and they are really nice. Not everyones cup of tea I know but it suits me and my hubby down to the ground.

Sue
we have stayed in the south for the last 5 years could'nt really compare it to the north because we have only spent 3 nights there visiting candolim which was great for a visit but we prefer the south if you decide to go south we know most of the hotels etc.. if you would like any info only too happy to help anita :D
Thanks folks - keep em coming if you can.

McGroogle
Ahhh, the age old debate over North v South, and it makes a welcome return. To me the topic is irelevant as you have places in the north that are quiet just as you have places in the south that are lively. For me it is the North as ther is more a mix of both whereas in the south it is more oriented to the quiet with a few exceptions. This year I discovered Ashvem (thanks to HT) and loved it. No, I REALLY loved it!! and it is only a short drive from Baga, Candolim etc where if you want some more action you can have it. There was a house next to La Plage which I really wanted to buy, not that it was up for sale, but it was right on the beach and with a bit of work would have been paradise. Anyway, away to check the lotto.....
We can't decide...so we do a week North and a week South.
The 1st week is getting acclimatised, mixing with people, buying things, going up and down the coast. A week's enough with the hassle, shops, taxi's etc.

2nd week is pure relaxation, no noise, bigger better emptier beaches. Boat trips up the river Sal, cycling up a beach when the tide's out with not a soul in sight, less hassle. If you keep away from the big resorts it's heaven.
excellent idea chris i think that would be perfect one week in the south and one week in the north brilliant anita :D
excellent idea chris i think that would be perfect one week in the south and one week in the north brilliant anita :D
we do the same a week in the north and 2 weeks in Varca.
South deffo..... but visit the north to see what its like.

We love the peace of the south and the wide open empty beaches.
:oops: :oops: I have an opinion but have not been on the forum long enough to post it I may overcome my shyness by tomorrow :wink:
oops I double posted (though hopefully havn't now) and must learn punctuation :oops:
Don't be shy Tightjock -- your posts are fantastic so get scribing !!!
I reckon in 9 cases out of ten whichever you go to first will be the one you prefer! Both are great but there's not enough going on in the south for me. You can still find quiet corners in the north, as several have commented.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.