Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Wine in Goa
45 Posts
We drink a make called Maderia, not to be confused with the port wine given away in restaurants, they do a red or white, not quite your Ernest & gallio, but OK. There is a local champagne that isn't too bad either.
Hi Bam, I drink the red stuff now and again, i have tried chantilli / satori / grover and sula all not to bad, not as good as the red stuff i drink at home but passable. :glynis PL
There is quite a good wine called bosca can get red or white about £2-£3 a bottle not bad we thought.
There is another wine by the name of Vin Ballet[sure that's the name] they do a red or white i liked it or should i say i drank enough of it. :lol:
Yes sleep, you are right on both counts, :!: :!: although I heard there was a shortage of wine at the end of Nov :) :rofl
hubby and I were put off wine in Goa after our first visit, we ordered some wine at a swiss restaurant in Candolim (not far from where Kingfisher Mansions is built now) and it tasted like cough medicine :yuck , and this has put us off so we tend to stick to beer, Gin & tonic and Honey Bee for afters; but if you assure us that there is some wine that is safe to drink we might give it another go this January.

jayne
Newbutt be adventureous try them all theres nothing to loose plenty to gain[1 big headache] :rofl.

Lin b i wonder why they ran out of wine :?: :lol:
It won't be long for you now.
Sleep You and your cousin drank it all, Can you remember the name of the local champagne? About 25 days to go, will try and sample all the different wines for research purposes all and do a report for you all.
No sorry lin don't know the name of the champagne, not too keen on it,sure chris will remember the name.
Is that maderia that you like very sweet.Not tried that one.
Do you know what proof the wines are that we drink,are they as strong as the ones in blighty.
Just out of curiosity how much would l be looking to pay for a bottle of decent champagne to round off the night :?:
The Maderia was a med/dry. The champagne was a very reasonabe price, but there were 2 different brands and one was awful.
Goa is not a place for wine connosieurs. The best wine is the Sula brand but is very expensive and still rotten. Vin Ballet is cheap but not very nice. Depends on your taste I suppose, but stick to the beer or honeybee
I got fed up after a while with the Kingfisher and drank the Vin Ballet (red & white) for a change. I reckoned it was alright, at the time. You know what it's like when you're on holiday - everything just seems that bit better. I remember years ago when we were in Greece and we found a wine we thought was great - so great we brought lots home. When we tried it in the cold, grey, damp Irish weather it just didn't have the same appeal. I ended up using it for cooking! So although I managed to drink and enjoy the Vin Ballet in Goa, I'm not sure it really is so good. You could give it a try anyway. It's not too expensive.
GEC
I agree with you, it's ok, I often make it into a spritzer with soda or lemonade. you can get nice wines but as it's imported is very expensive.
Agree with that whenever we are insure of the wine we make it in to a spritzer and end up drinking more than planned! :rofl
Does anyone remember the weeklong music festival that took place during Feb a few years ago at the sports field next to the roundabout at calangute - when it was all cordened off with a high tarpolin fence - inside there were some food and drinks stalls and one was pushing their award winning champagne and you could buy a glass for 100 Rp and it was very nice indeed - drunk so much I forgot the name! :P
think it was called Marquis de Pompadour, never tried it myself but understand as good as real french grog!
I had a lovely bottle of red wine at the now called After Seven(after eight) restaurant. The name was Grovers Shiraz Cabernet. You can buy it in numerous shops at around 325-400 Rps.
I find Marquis de Pompadour really sour !! Try the Madeira Wine , priced at about 220Rs a bottle, its good stuff
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.