America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Xanterra are the people who look after accommodation bookings WITHIN Yellowstone National Park. Further information here:-

http://www.travelyellowstone.com/

I did start planning a trip to Yellowstone (and Grand Teton NP) for last year but it lost out to New Mexico. April/May is going to be an ideal time to go (maybe more May than April) and you won't be overly bothered by the huge crowds that gather during peak period July & August. I know the advice I was given was to book early if you want to stay in the park, but we were looking at August (due to Wife work) but it might not be a bad idea to get things booked up quickly. As things were either booked up or just outrageously expensive we were looking outside the park for accommodation. The likes of West Yellowstone, Cody (to the east of the park) and Gardiner (to the north) were the areas we were looking at but even then budget accommodation was expensive ($200+ for a Super 8 in one area). You shouldn't have this problem hopefully.

When I was looking at flight prices I did notice that flights into the smaller airports nearby (Jackson Hole in the Grand Teton for example) were very expensive from major US cities. Therefore we proposed to fly into a major hub and then drive. Distances are pretty huge though, so you have to weigh up the savings over driving to flying to the park itself but of course you will need a car to get around the parks anyway. A good example might be to fly into Denver and drive from there through Rocky Mountain NP, north to Grand Tetons and then onto Yellowstone. Salt Lake City isn't a great distance either so that could be another option but I don't think there are direct flights, whereas Denver is served by BA. I would also encourage some time in Denver itself if you decide on this option, it really is a fantastic city.

I'm sure you can find information on the park itself including hikes etc via google, but it might be worth picking up either a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide book solely on Yellowstone & Grand Teton NP. I have one and the depth of information is outstanding.

I do hope this helps a bit. As we didn't go through with the trip in the end I can only help with what we discovered when planning initially but it should give you a start. Please let me know how your planning goes, because I'm sure that in the next few years we will be doing the trip ourselves.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.