Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Zante Weather
16 Posts
Hi Andy,

We are off to Kalamaki a week today :hyper. You should find the warm still fairly hot high 20's I should think.

We've booked car hire from a company that was recommended to us recently. We gave booked a Suzuki Vitara for four days for €160. The price includes fully comprehensive insurance ( c d w for damage,fire,theft and no excess),
Vat and all other taxes,personal accident insurance,breakdown recovery, insurance for the tyres, windscreen, unlimited mileage,free delivery/collection and there are no extra charges for additional drivers.

The company we used is based in Kalamaki and they are called Merlis Car Hire. We booked ours via email, we dealt with a lovely lady called Julie. Merlis contact numbers are:

Tel: 0030 26950 27103
Fax: 0030 26950 42397

and email is: merlisrental@hotmail.com

You don't need to leave a card number or deposit to book and they deliver free to your accommodation.

I'll let you know what the service was like when I return.

Sarah
We went on 15/09/05 and it was pouring down as we landed,over the two weeks we had thunder and lightening on 3or 4 occasions it was like a river flowing down the street in tsilivi, im not sure wheather this was a one off or a regular thing in september.
:D just got back from tsilivi and the weather was very hot, we had a thunderstorm on the 9th aug and that lasted all day but after that we had a heatwave, temp was 45 degrees, some days you couldnt sit in the sun had to stay inside with the air con, the evenings was very warm as well, eating dinner was some nights awful, had to keep drinking (shame hahaha) Tsilivi was great a fantastic resort loads to do will deffinealty be going back :D
Yes agree with you, we got back on the 22nd and oh boy was it hot. We saw the temp in Kalamaki on Sunday and it was 46 degrees and at night it was 33 degrees.

I have just submitted my holiday review here

Sarah
Hi Sarah,
I have just read your review and I am a bit concerned about not being able to take drinks into Zante airport for the return trip. This is the first I have read about there being any new restrictions in other countries.We are going on Tuesday for 2 weeks to Tsilivi. Do you know if these restrictions are a temporary measure or are they likley to be in force when we return on the 12th September?
Thanks,
Ange :D
Hi, I'm not sure if the measures are tempory or not to be honest You can take drinks to the airport, but you can't take them through to departures. A lot of people were staying outside until really last minute.

You can get drinks in the departure lounge but as I said they are expensive and you can then of course buy drinks on the aircraft.

Sarah
Thanks for that Sarah. I think we will probably stay outside for as long as possible, knowing what the airport is like :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ange
we flew home on the 23rd and whilst stading in the que outside, they lifted the restriction on taking food and drink, you can now take it through to departures and on the plane. Take plenty of water if you have a day time flight we were lucky we had a 4am flight so it wasnt 2 bad standing outside but the weather they have been having standing outside the airport during the dayyou will melt. The airport is very small but having the flight time we had it was ok. Enjoy you will love it :)
liverbirdnikki,
Cheers for that. We have a 9pm flight so the standing outside isn't a problem. I was worried about the prices of drinks etc in the airport as we are always skint on the way home :roll: :roll:
We went at this time last year for the first time and after reading all the things about the airport ,we were expecting the worst!! It wasn't as bad as we were expecting. I think the worst part was the smoking room,as I was the only smoker in our party. You had to walk through a haze of smoke :shock: :shock: . I was very glad of the last smoke though, as I HATE flying!!!
We are going back to Planos Bay apartments in Tsilivi for the 2nd time, as they were just what we have been looking for after years of going to Spain.
Thnaks again for the info,
Ange 8) 8) 8)
We stayed at the planos bay apt/hotel and it was great, chris and angela are really nice people and alex the entertainer is brilliant with the kids, we had a great time and will go back agian, at the mo we are all depressed as our tans are fading fast. I have received a few texts from a family we met out there and they say the weather is very hot still. Have a great time :D l
Arrived back from Alykes yesterday. We always ditch the transfer and get a taxi. Arrived at airport at 8.30 in the morning...sat inside until check in opened. Coaches were arriving and people herded under the shelters and then allowed in about 10 at a time to check in.

Considering the outward journey..when you couldn't take ANYTHING on the plane except what was bought at duty free....it seems the rules aren't the same at Zante airport! I packed all my make up, etc etc in my backpack...but needn't have bothered! We took a bottle of water through in a water carrier - prepared for them to take it but I didn't even have to put it throught the x ray machine (unlike UK airport where even our shoes went through the x ray machine :lol: ).

VERY expensive once you get into the departure lounge...£2.50 for a small cup of instant coffee!
Hope the airport has improved, it was really tacky and mucky when we were there, but it`s a good few years ago.
Hope the airport has improved, it was really tacky and mucky when we were there, but it`s a good few years ago.

On arrival you'll notice the difference, nice new arrivals hall, large belts delievering your luggage, but departures is still awful. Its a tiny bit bigger as they knocked through to the old arrivals (tinyspace with one belt) but it seems as though they don't have enough seats to sit on and it never appears clean. Very very expensive for drinks from the kiosk. They wanted €3.50 for a can of sprite in the kiosk, upstairs in the duty free shop you could buy a pack of 6 for €2.50 ;)
But I still think the airport is worth putting up with for the beauty of the Island.

Sarah
We've been twice to Zante - Laganas and Argassi. Both times were the last week in September and the 1st week in October. We had fantastic weather both times apart from one heavy downpour which lasted about an hour. We didn't even need to wear a cardigan in the evenings. Zante is a beautiful island I'm sure you'll enjoy.
We are wanting to book to stay in kalamaki possibly self catering but our friend is celiac can anybody tell me if local restuarents cater for him as I am very concerned
Help!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.