General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Re: £1 a day
160 Posts
Me and my mam have been saving for less than a month now. We have 3 jars, one for £1 & £2 coins, silver coins and copper coins. So far we have just over £56 for our holidays in september
hanz1991
Well done on your saving.
Yuou will be quite surprised how quickly it mounts up.
Keep up the good work
Lyn :wave:
Hi
thought I would jump on board, we have a tin which can't be opened unless with a tin opener, saving for next year's hols but what we will do is when its full transfer it to the even bigger tins, so hopefully should have a bit towards our spends, it's so tempting to open it when i'm skint but I wont give in, its half full so when I transfer it over when its full I will find out how much is in ;) .saving all kinds in it but mostly silver.
When my son comes in from a night out, he just leaves all his change on his bedside table. For the last 12months or so I've been sorting this change out,(1p,2p,5p,10p and 20p's) bagging it and putting it in a carrier bag in his wardrobe. He is going on holiday next month, so I told him about this bag of money. When we counted the bank bags, there is the grand total of £320 !!! He is amazed and so thankful that I did this, he has given me £50 to treat myself!! He never even missed it, but did wonder occasionally where it all went!

Denny
That's fantastic denny! :cheers

I've not been having so many £2 coins turning up lately and I did snaffle I think about 6 coins the other week. Ooops. I must still have about £110 which will go towards toiletries, taxi to airport and other bits and bobs. It's the stuff you buy before you go that seem to add up isn't it?
Right I'm just about to get out the tin opener and count my cash , my first post on this thread was 16th July last year so I've been saving for 11 months , can't wait to see how much I've got towards my holiday money as the tin is full.
I've spent mine now. I was going to use it for airport but realised I won't be buying anything there but a few drinks and a boots meal! I have used it for holiday bits and bobs and ended up with £140.

How much did you get then?
I have got one of those terramundi pots and every year without fail I collect 50ps and 20ps in it, I always manage to save approx £350 and empty it just before my hols , I then change it for currency , a great start towards our spends :)
£158.40, plus £25 from another money box where I save 5p, 2p & 1p , I'm adding it to our spending moneyas it will cover our transfer to the resort and a meal or two .
Next years tin is started too :)
My tin is quite heavy too & I have another 63 days (not that I'm counting) to put some more £2 coins in. Mine will be for airport spends & any extra will be changed into currency at the airport.
Sounds like we are all doing the same thing, I have a large Quality Street jar left over from christmas many moons ago, and I start saving straight after the last holiday. I have a purse that holds very little coins, holds notes ok, but coins gets too full and wont shut, so every couple of days I empty my change into a pot at work, and when that is full i bring it home and empty into my jar. :)
I have a huge whisky bottle but I only put copper and 5ps init....as like others found it is too handy to dip into if you put silver or pound coins in it.....years ago I opened a savings account especially for saving for family holidays....and have a set amount transfered by standing order into it from my current account. every month...as all my monies go into current account and all my bills get paid by dd or standing order out of same account the money that was going into holiday fund became just another regular household bill
i save all copper and 5p's in a whisky bottle , but after reading your posts think i will now start with the 50p's and maybe 20's , every little helps .
Im an absolute nightmare at saving, when i eventually manage to save around 20pounds in loose change i always end up spending it by the end of the month .

So, i have started to transfer 2pounds per day over to my online savers account, and by the time i go on holiday in September i will have saved 200pounds :)

I feel really silly transfering the 2pounds every day, but this is the only way i know i will save.
To save £1 and £2 coins for our forthcoming holiday, I bought one of those tins that has to be opened using a tin-opener - otherwise I would be dipping into it for kids lunch money etc if I had no change. I also have no idea how much is in there, as I put various amounts in every day from what's in my purse so it will be interesting when I do open it up to see the amount! You actually don't miss the money when you don't see it.
Hi kimi.. we have done the same... another 8 weeks to our holls :) i can not wait to get tin opener out and see how much we saved :D

Scully27
Well I had 2 tins one for £2 coins other for silver and bronze. I am due to go to Cyprus in 4 weeks so thought I would open them up and get the coins changed over. What a nice surprise I got when I totalled it all up £414, that goes a long way to my spends on holiday. :tup
I have already started my tins for next years hols. :cheers
Well done Scampy - I only have a small tin for £2 coins - but it feels quite heavy. I'm looking forward to opening it in 7 days time :cheers
Thanks Helen,
I am sure you will be pleased by how much you have saved, £2 coins add up very quickly.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.