General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
£1 a day
160 Posts
I grab all my hubbies change(he's always leaving it lying) around and chuck it into one of those big empty whisky bottles. We ususally have an extra £300 - 400 spending money from it.
Oh what a great idea!!will be doing that when i get back of my hol to gumbet in sept,ready for my 09 hol!! :tup
I might try that on my return but I know what I have been like in the past. Dipping in for the window cleaner, dipping in to save going to the ATM for just a tenner etc.etc.
I started saving 20p pieces in a sweetie jar when it was full it held over £600 :D

Lynn
My mum and dad always save £5 a week towards their holiday spending, I just never manage to do it myself. It is a good idea though.
that is a very good idea, however as sated before it's too handy for the window cleaner and lunch money etc....

my other half has just got a terramundi so might stick it in there to avoid dipping into it.
Hi Ginkster I remember you from the Hotel Petra Mare in Crete site that we both went to in 2007. Where are you going in Turkey then in 2009 - im going to start thinking your following me lol

Were going to Asena Beach Hotel I think its called in Hisaronu.

Love your idea I might buy myself one of those can money boxes that you can only open with a tin opener!

Redcrop x
I had a tin that you cant open, but as it was full 2 weeks ago i opened it, i had £175...mostly coppers, put it straight into my savings account for my spending money, i then bought another sealed tin... decided i was gonna save all my £2 coins, i must have £30 or £40 saved already!

i just love these tins! ;)
I had a tin that you cant open
What are this tins & where do they come from,that`d be ideal,am using a pint glass at the moment,& like other posts have said easy to dip into :cheers
Just found some on Ebay,so gonna get 1 of those :)
Any pound shop sells them its a great idea buy a few tins at a time it soon mounts up :cheers
I'm onto my second money tin this year. The first one was the size of a can of beans and when I opened it we had £275 in £2 coins.
I always save the £2 coins as you never notice them going as they're still not that common. I maybe get 2 or 3 a week.
The tin I have at the moment is double the size of the last one and says it holds £500-£600 of £1 coins when full. So obviously with only having £2 coins in there I'm hoping for about £1000 for when we go away in September.
The tins and terramundi are great ideas as you're so reluctant to dip into them unecessarily because it's useless after that.
Just got my tins from asda and matalan.

Happy saving :wave:
Hi Redcrop yes we did do the Petra mare in 2007 Hit and Miss with that holliday :que :duh

Going to Icmeler for one week then two weeks in Hisaronu
We are big Greece fans .... But the Euro has made us choose Turkey ....

My tin is going to be full soon ...then another tin and another tin

All the best Gink and Family :tup
  • Edited by ginkster 2009-01-13 20:52:05
My husband and I started saving all our small change, but I couldn't be bothered counting it all up. Now we save all our £2 coins, much easier and quicker to add up!!
Hi,

We've been saving our £2 coins for a few years now, usually over £200 when we open it, makes a nice start to holiday spends!

Deb.
we currently have two full tins fum of money at the moment. Just need to get the can opener out now to count it up ready for America :D
I always start off with good intentions - but always end up dipping in.
So now I don't bother! :haha
Me too. I have a lovely china piggy bank and used to drop coins in when I had a purse full but I always raided it before the end of the month so I don't bother any more.
Best thing to do is to buy the tins that you can only open with a can opener when its full. Thats what we do :tup
we always save up £2 coins and every year it gives us an extra £400-£600 spending, just changed £440 this time and since ive changed them ive added another couple to set off next years funds already :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.